Prof Rob Coe
Affiliate of the Durham University Evidence Centre for Education
Robert Coe is Professor in the School of Education and Director of the Centre for Evaluation and Monitoring (CEM), Durham University. CEM is the largest educational research centre in a UK university and has provided assessment and monitoring systems to many thousands of schools since 1983. Well over a million children take our assessments every year in more than 40 countries; we are the largest provider of computer adaptive assessments outside the US.
Before embarking on an academic career, Rob Coe was a teacher of mathematics, with experience in a range of secondary schools and colleges. He left teaching in 1995 to study full-time for a PhD at Durham University, and then stayed on as a Research Associate and Lecturer.
His research interests are wide-ranging and include: evaluation methodology; Evidence-Based Education and the involvement of practitioners in research; school effectiveness and improvement, including the methodology of school effectiveness research; the use and effects of feedback, especially in performance monitoring information systems; and the statistical comparability of examinations in different subjects and over time.
His teaching is also varied, including research methods courses from undergraduate to Ed.D. level, and specialist Masters level courses in Experiments in Education and in Educational Assessment, as well as contributing to initial teacher training. His methodological expertise lies in areas such as general statistical analysis, experimental design, meta-analysis, multilevel modelling, construct measurement and item response models.
Information for prospective doctoral research student supervisions
Rob would welcome applications from good PhD students in any areas that overlap with his research interests and expertise
Completed Supervisions (since 2008)
Indicators of Esteem
- ESRC: Reviewed proposal for ESRC
- External examiner: Examined one external EdD thesis, University of Sheffield
- Impact on Policy and Practice: Impact on policy and practice as Director of the CEM Centre's secondary monitoring projects, used by around 3000 schools and colleges, and through organising, jointly with Dr. Philip Davies at the Cabinet Office, the Fourth and Fifth international 'Evidence-Based Policies and Indictor Systems' conference, both held in London, July 2003 and July 2006, of which selected proceedings appeared in a special issue of Evaluation and Research in Education (18, 1 & 2), edited by me.
- International Research collaborations: International research collaborations with Dr. Adrie Visscher, University of Twente, resulting in an edited book and ongoing further work, and with Dr. Cesar Merino Soto, Defensoria Municipal del Nino y del Adolescente, Peru, leading to a joint Spanish paper on effect size.
- Mr Martin Walker
- Mr Andrew Fowler
- Ms Patricia Pomroy
- Mr Mark Frazer
- Mr Mark Ledger
- Mrs Janine Wilson
- Evidence-based policy and practice
- Statistical analysis and inference
- Value added and school effectiveness
- 11+ Test Exclusive To The Grammar Schools
- An Evaluation of the STAR programme
- Development of the Teaching and Learning Toolkit
- Educational Accountability
- Entrance Test Development
- Evaluations of National Ratings
- Grammar Schools In England
- Increasing Student Competence and Confidence in Algebra and Multiplicative Reasoning
- Social class bias in selection
- Coe, R. (2010). Back to the Linking Construct: A Commentary on “Thinking About Linking” by Paul E. Newton. Measurement 8(4): 154-156.
- Archer, E., Scherman, V., Coe, R. & Howie, S.J. (2010). Finding the best fit: the adaptation and translation of the Performance Indicators for Primary Schools (PIPS) for the south African context. Perspectives in Education 28(1): 77-88.
- Hodgen, J., Kuchemann, D., Brown, M. & Coe, R. (2010). Lower secondary school students' attitudes to mathematics: evidence from a large-scale survey in England. Research in Mathematics Education 12(2): 155.
- Hodgen, J., Küchemann, D., Brown, M. & Coe, R. (2010). Lower secondary school students' knowledge of fractions. Research in Mathematics Education 12(1): 75-76.
- Coe, R. (2010). Standards Issue. Make the Grade 18-21.
- Coe, R. (2010). Understanding comparability of examination standards. Research Papers in Education 25(3): 271-284.
- Hodgen, J., Küchemann, D., Brown, M. & Coe, R. (2009). Children's understandings of algebra 30 years on. Research in Mathematics Education 11(2): 193-194.
- Davies, P., Davies, N., Hutton, D., Adnett, N. & Coe, R. (2009). Choosing in schools: locating the benefits of specialisation. Oxford Review of Education 35(2): 147-167.
- Davies, P., Telhajb, S., Hutton, D., Adnett, N. & Coe, R. (2009). Competition, cream-skimming and department performance within secondary schools. British Educational Research Journal 35(1): 65-81.
- Telhaj, S., Admnett, N., Davies, P., Hutton, D. & Coe, R. (2009). Increasing within-school competition: a case for department level performance indicators? Research Papers in Education 24(1): 45-55.
- Coe, R. (2009). School Improvement: Reality and Illusion. British Journal of Educational Studies 57(4): 363-379.
- Coe, R. (2009). Unobserved but not unimportant: The effects of unmeasured variables on causal attributions. Effective Education 1(2): 101-122.
- Coe, R.J. (2008). Comparability of GCSE examinations in different subjects: an application of the Rasch model. Oxford Review of Education 34(5): 609-636.
- Tymms, P.B., Merrell, C. & Coe, R.J. (2008). Educational Policies and randomized Controlled Trials. The Psychology of Education Review 32(2): 3-7 & 26-29.
- Luyten, H., Peschar, J. & Coe, R. (2008). Effects of Schooling on Reading Performance, Reading Engagement and Reading Activities of 15-year-olds in England. American Educational Research Journal 45(2): 319-342.
- Davies, Pl., Telhaj, S., Hutton, D, Adnett, N. & Coe, R. (2008). Socioeconomic background, gender and subject choice in secondary schooling. Educational Research 50(3): 235-248.
Chapter in book
- Coe, R. (2012). Conducting your research. In Research Methods and Methodologies in Education. Arthur, J., Waring, M., Coe, R. & Hedges, L.V. Sage. 41-52.
- Coe, R. (2012). Effect size. In Research Methods and Methodologies in Education. Arthur, J., Waring, M., Coe, R. & Hedges, L.V. Sage. 368-377.
- Coe, R. (2012). The nature of educational research - exploring the different understandings of educational research. In Research Methods and Methodologies in Education. Arthur, J., Waring, M., Coe, R & Hedges, L.V. Sage. 5-14.
- Tymms, P. & Coe, R. (2009). Conclusions: Assessment in an Era of Globalization. In Multicultural Psychoeducational Assessment. Grigorenko, E. Madison, WI: Apex. 469-485.
- Coe, R., Arthur, J., Hedges, L. & Waring, M. (2012). Research Methodologies and Methods in Education. Londong: Sage.
- Arthur, J., Waring, M., Coe, R. & Hedges, L.V. (2012). Research Methods and Methodologies in Education. Sage.
Other (Digital/Visual Media)
- Thomas, J., Graziosi, S., Higgins, S., Coe, R., Torgerson, C. & Newman, M. (2012). Teaching meta-analysis using MetaLight. BMC Research Notes 5: 571.
- Higgins, S., Katsipataki, M., Villanueva-Aguilera, A.B., Coleman, R., Henderson, P., Major, L.E., Coe, R. & Mason, D. (2016). The Sutton Trust-Education Endowment Foundation Teaching and Learning Toolkit. London, Education Endowment Foundation.
- Cordingley, P., Higgins, S., Greany, T., Buckler, N., Coles-Jordan, D., Crisp, B., Saunders, L. & Coe, R. (2015). Developing Great Teaching: Lessons from the international reviews into effective professional development. London, Teacher Development Trust.
- Coe, R., Aloisi, C., Higgins, S. & Major, L.E. (2014). What makes great teaching? Review of the underpinning research. London: Sutton Trust.
- Coe, R., Kime, S., Nevill, C. & Coleman, R. (2013). The DIY Evaluation Guide. Education Endowment Foundation.
- Higgins, S., Katsipataki, M., Kokotsaki, D., Coleman, R., Major, L.E. & Coe, R. (2013). The Sutton Trust - Education Endowment Foundation Teaching and Learning Toolkit. London, Education Endowment Foundation.
- Torgerson, C.J., Wiggins, A., Torgerson, D.J., Ainsworth, H., Barmby, P., Hewitt, C., Jones, K., Hendry, V., Askew, M., Bland, M., Coe, R., Higgins, S., Hodgen, J., Hulme, C. & Tymms, P. (2011). Every Child Counts: The Independent evaluation Executive Summary. Department for Education (DfE).
- Torgerson, C.J., Wiggins, A., Torgerson, D.J., Ainsworth, H., Barmby, P., Hewitt, C., Jones, K., Hendry, V., Askew, M., Bland, M., Coe, R., Higgins, S., Hodgen, J., Hulme, C. & Tymms, P. (2011). The Every Child Counts Independent Evaluation Report to DfE.
- Merrell, C., Jones, P., Bolden, D., Jones, K., Defty, N. & Ndaji, F. (2010). Evaluation of procedures for calculating National Ratings: A report for the Scottish Qualifications Authority.
- Coe, R. & Kokotsaki, D. (2010). How can Educational Accountability Systems help the Poorest Children? A Report for Save the Children. Durham.
- Tymms, P. & Coe, R. (2010). Me and My School: Preliminary Findings from the first year of the National Evaluation of Targeted Mental Health in Schools (2008-09).
- Sykes, R. et al. (2010). The Sir Richard Sykes Review. London.
- Wiggins, A., Coe, R., Jones, K. & Kan, M-Y. (2009). Evidence of educational support outside of school. London.
- Coe, R., Jones, K., Searle, J., Kokotsaki, C., Mohd Kosnin, A. & Skinner, P. (2008). Evidence on the effects of selective educational systems. London.
- Coe, R.J., Searle, J., Barmby, P., Jones, K. & Higgins, S. (2008). Relative difficulty of examinations in different subjects. CEM Centre, School of Education.
- Coe, R.J. & Tymms, P.B. (2008). Summary of research on changes in educational standards in the UK. Institute of Directors. London.
Available for media contact about:
- Education: Examination standards
- Education: Assessment
- General policy: Evaluation of policy impact