Mrs Christine Bohlander, MA in Educational Research; Diplom-Übersetzerin; PGCHET; SFHEA; CELTA
I studied Translation (English and Spanish) with Law as a specialised subject at Saarbrücken University in Germany and began my professional career as a freelance translator. I also have experience as an in-house translator/interpreter in the manufacturing industry and I taught English and Spanish in adult education as well as to private and commercial clients in Germany.
From 2004 to 2014 I taught a variety of German courses at different levels at Durham University, from Beginners to post-A-level, among them Languages-for-all classes, credit-bearing modules for non-linguists, translation classes, and German for academic purposes for postgraduates.
In 2014 I took on the role as Researcher Development Officer. I was responsible for the university-wide training programme as well as for other development opportunities for doctoral students such as the poster competition and the Three-Minute Thesis competition.
From 2012 to 2018 I was a tutor on the DULTA course for early-career researchers (Durham University Learning and Teaching Award).
In September 2019 I started my new role as Employability Development Manager at Durham's Careers & Enterprise Centre.
I have a special interest in the development of new courses and the creation of online teaching and training resources and I am a passionate believer in sharing good professional practice and disseminating my research at conferences and other events.
I obtained an MA in Educational Research from the Durham University School of Education in 2019 with a particular focus on intercultural education and I am a PhD candidate in the same school researching the experience of German theology students during their year abroad in Jerusalem.
Is supervised by
- Bohlander, Christine & Burdumy, Alexander (2018). Designing and delivering a programme of reading skills classes to postgraduate students. Journal of Teaching English for Specific and Academic Purposes 6(2): 245-252.
- Bohlander, Christine & Tual, David (2013), Collaborative online tools, AULC (Association of University Language Centres) Annual National Conference. Durham University, Durham University.
- Bohlander, Christine & Tual, David (2013), Web 2.0 Tools in Practice: Creating and Contributing to Communities of Learners and Teachers,, Foreign Languages Creating Learning Communities,. Tallinn University, Estonia, Tallinn University.
- Bohlander, Christine & Tual, David (2012), Developing and Delivering Languages for Research Courses, Bridging the Language Divide – Briefing and Best Practice Event. Newcastle University, England, Newcastle University.
- Bohlander, Christine , Lenzo, Giuseppe, Ogden Mark & Watts, Mike (2011), Developing reading skills for the postgraduate community: a training workshop for language teachers, AHRC workshop. Newcastle University, England, Newcastle University.
- Bohlander, Christine , Ogden, Mark & Tual, David (2011), Enhancing PG students’ foreign language reading skills for research by way of online modules, Innovative teaching and learning at university, Enhancing the learning experience of Modern Languages students. Newcastle University, England, Newcastle University.
- Bohlander, Christine & Tual, David (2011), Supporting language learning outside the classroo, LLAS workshop. Durham University, Durham University.
- Bohlander, Christine & Tual, David (2011), The use of blogs for corrective feedback on formative work, Innovative teaching and learning at university, Enhancing the learning experience of Modern Languages students. Newcastle University, England, Newcastle University.
- Bohlander, Christine (2010), Blog-Feedback-Projekt, Kreatives und Akademisches Schreiben. Cumberland Lodge, Great Windsor Park, London, Cumberland Lodge, Great Windsor Park, London.
- Bohlander, Christine, Ogden, Mark & Tual, David (2010), Developing students' skills through online resources, LLAS conference: Supporting students' learning outside the classroom: promoting independence and autonomy in LLAS disciplines. Leeds, Leeds.
- Bohlander, Christine & Tual, David (2010), The use of blogs and on-line mind maps as effective tools for feedback and peer learning, Foreign Language Instructional Technology: Theory and Practice. University of Cyprus, Cyprus, University of Cyprus.