Prof Joe Elliott
Julian (Joe) Elliott joined Durham University in 2004 from the University of Sunderland where he was Acting Dean of the School of Education and Lifelong Learning. Prof. Elliott taught in mainstream and special schools prior to practising as an LEA educational psychologist.
A Chartered Psychologist and Associate Fellow of the British Psychological Society, he is registered to engage in clinical practice as an educational psychologist by the Health Professions Council. He is an Academician of the Academy of Social Sciences and a member of the REF 2014 Education Panel.
His research and teaching interests include dyslexia, achievement motivation, working memory difficulties, SEN, behaviour management, cognitive education, and psychological assessment. His research involves ongoing collaborations with partners in Europe, the United States, Asia and Australia.
The Dyslexia Debate, 2014
The Dyslexia Debate: Book Flyer (flyer)
The Dyslexia Debate: Research Briefing (Briefing)
The Dyslexia Debate: Book Launch Conferences April 22/23/24, 2014 (Conferences)
Conference: The End of Dyslexia in Higher Education? May 7, 2014 (Advert)
Joe is a member of the Physical Wellbeing in Schools project. For further information, please see http://www.move-project.org.uk/
Completed Supervisions (since 2008)
Indicators of Esteem
- 2006: Keynote presentation: Invitation to give the Ruth Wong Memorial Lecture at the 2006 Annual Conference at the Singapore Educational Research Association
- 2005: Interview by EducationNews.org: Interviewed on work in achievement motivation by EducationNews.org, the world's leading education website.
- 2004: Sabbatical at Yale University: Invited by Professor Robert Sternberg to take up a sabbatical at Yale University in 2004. Has been an Affiliate of the Center for the Psychology of Abilities, Competencies and Expertise at Yale, and latterly, Tufts, since then. Collaborating and publishing with Professor Sternberg and his team on several projects.
- 2003: IACEP: President of the International Association for Cognitive Education and Psychology (2003-2005)
- Channel 4 documentary on Dyslexia: Following publication of book examining work with children with SEN, was invited to take a significant part in a Channel 4 documentary on dyslexia. Was intervied extensively in the national media and attracted considerable international interest. Asked to write an article on the topic for Education Canada and invited to Northern Ireland to give a seminar to the CCEA
- Editorial Boards: Member of Editorial Boards of: British Educational REsearch Journal (twice during the period) Comparative Education Educational and Child Psychology British Journal of Special Education and Support for Learning
- Presentations on work: Invited to present on work in two different research areas; achievement motivation and dynamic assessment, at many leading world universities including Yale (twice), Brown, Tennessee (Knoxville), Moscow State, Hertzen (St. Petersburg), Sydney & Geneva as well as several in the UK (Cambridge, Birmingham & Stirling).
- Reading Disability/ Dyslexia
- Behaviour Problems in Children
- Cross-cultural influences in Learning and Behaviour
- Aurora Project - University of Yale
- Physical Activity and Well-being in Schools
- Project Based Learning
- Working Memory And Learning In School
Journal papers: academic
- Gibbs, S. & Elliott, J.G. (2015). The differential effects of labelling: how do ‘dyslexia’ and ‘reading difficulties’ affect teachers’ beliefs. European Journal of Special Needs Education 30(3): 323-337.
- Elliott, J.G. (2014). Lessons from abroad: Whatever happened to pedagogy?. Comparative Education 50(1): 27-44.
- Stemler, S.E., Elliott, J.G., McNeish, D., Grigorenko, E.L. & Sternberg, R.J. (2012). Examining the construct and cross-cultural validity of the Teaching Excellence rating Scale (TERS). The International Journal of Educational and Psychological Assessment 9(2): 121-138.
- Kornilov, S.A., Tan, M., Elliott, J.G., Sternberg, R.J. & Grigorenko, E.L. (2012). Gifted Identification with Aurora: Widening the Spotlight. Journal of Psychoeducational Assessment 30(1): 117-133.
- Lauchlan, F., Resing, W. & Elliott, J. (2011). Computerised assessment and its contribution to educational psychology. Educational and Child Psychology 28(3).
- Resing, W.C., Steijn, W.M.P., Xenidou-Dervou, I., Stevenson, C.E. & Elliott, J. (2011). Computerized dynamic testing: A study of the potential of an approach using sensor technology. Journal of Cognitive Education and Psychology 10(2): 178-194.
- Resing, W. & Elliott, J.G. (2011). Dynamic testing with tangible electronics: Measuring children's change in strategy use with a series completion task. British Journal of Educational Psychology 81(4): 579-605.
- Elliott, J., Stemler, S.E., Grigorenko, E.L., Sternberg, R.J. & Hoffman, N. (2011). The socially skilled teacher and the development of tacit knowledge. British Educational Research Journal 37(1): 83-103.
- Elliott, J., Gathercole, S.E., Alloway, T.P., Holmes, J. & Kirkwood, H. (2010). An evaluation of a classroom-based intervention to help overcome working memory difficulties and improve long-term academic achievement. Journal of Cognitive Education and Psychology 9(3): 227-250.
- Alloway, T., Gathercole, S. & Elliott, J.G. (2010). Examining the link between working memory behaviour and academic attainment in students with ADHD. Developmental Medicine and Child Neurology 52(7): 632-636.
- Alloway, T.P., Elliott, J.G., Holmes, J. & Place, M. (2010). Exploring the link between attention and working memory in clinical and community samples. Child Neuropsychology 16: 242-254.
- Urwick, J. & Elliott, J.G. (2010). International orthodoxy versus national realities: Inclusive schooling and the education of children with disabilities in Lesotho. Comparative Education 47(2): 137-150.
- Hall, B., Place, M.P. & Elliott, J.G. (2010). Self harm through cutting - Evidence from a sample of schools in the North of England. Pastoral Care in Education 28(1): 33-43.
- Holmes, J., Gathercole, S.E., Place, M., Alloway, T.P., Elliott, J. & Hilton, K. A. (2010). The diagnostic utility of executive function assessments in the identification of ADHD in children. Child and Adolescent Mental Health 15(1): 37-43.
- Alloway, T.P., Elliott, J.G. & Holmes, J. (2010). The prevalance of ADHD-like symptoms in a community sample. Journal of Attention Disorders 14(1): 52-56.
- Holmes, J., Gathercole, S.E., Place, M., Dunning, D.L., Hilton, K.L. & Elliott, J.G. (2010). Working memory deficits can be overcome: Impacts of training and medication on working memory in children with ADHD. Applied Cognitive Psychology 24(6): 827-836.
- Nguyen, P.M., Terlouw, C., Pilot, A. & Elliott, J. (2009). Cooperative learning that features a culturally appropriate pedagogy. British Educational Research Journal 35(6): 857-873.
- Nguyen, M., Elliott, J., Terlouw, C. & Pilot, A. (2009). Neocolonialism in education: Cooperative learning, Western pedagogy in an Asian Context. Comparative Education 45(1): 109-130.
- Resing, W., Elliott, J.G. & Higgins, S.E. (2009). Reasoning in children and adolescents. Educational and Child Psychology 26(3).
- Beckmann, N., Beckmann, J.F. & Elliott, J.G. (2009). Self-confidence and performance goal orientation interactively predict performance in a reasoning test with accuracy feedback. Learning and Individual Differences 19(2): 277-282.
- Elliott, J. (2009). Social factors in student achievement motivation: comparison across three cultural contexts. Revue internationale d'education de Sevres
- Alloway, T., Gathercole, S., Kirkwood, H. & Elliott, J. (2009). The cognitive and behavioural characteristics of children with low working memory. Child Development 80(2): 606-621.
- Alloway, T., Gathercole, S., Holmes, J., Place, M., Elliott, J. & Hilton, K. (2009). The diagnostic utility of behavioral checklists in identifying children with ADHD and children with working memory deficits. Child Psychiatry and Human Development 40(3): 353-366.
- Elliott, J.G. (2009). The nature of teacher authority and teacher expertise. Support for Learning 24(4): 197-203.
- Alloway, T., Gathercole, S., Kirkwood, H. & Elliott, J. (2009). The Working Memory Rating Scale: A classroom-based behavioural assessment of working memory. Learning and Individual Differences 19(2): 242-245.
- Elliott, J.G. & Gibbs, S. (2008). Does dyslexia exist?. Journal of Philosophy of Education 42(3-4): 475-491.
- Remedios, R., Kiseleva, Z. & Elliott, J.G. (2008). Goal orientations in Russian university students: from mastery to performance?. Educational Psychology 28(6): 677-691.
Journal papers: professional
- Gathercole, Susan E., Alloway, Tracy P., Kirkwood, Hannah J., Elliott, Julian G., Holmes, Joni & Hilton, Kerry A. (2008). Attentional and executive function behaviours in children with poor working memory. Learning and Individual Differences 18(2): 214-223.
- Elliott, J. & Grigorenko, E.L. (2014). The Dyslexia Debate. Cambridge Univesity Press.
- Elliott, J.G. & Place, M. (2012). Children in Difficulty. Routledge: London.
- Garner, P., Kauffman, J. & Elliott, J.G. (2014). The SAGE Handbook of Emotional and Behavioral Difficulties. SAGE Publications Ltd.
- Elliott, J. & Grigorenko, E. (2008). Western Educational Theory and Practice in Diverse Contexts. London: Routledge.
- Elliott, J.G. & Resing, W. (2012). Cross-cultural factors in learning and motivation. In Encyclopedia of the Sciences of Learning. Seel, N. Springer: New York.
- Resing, W., Elliott, J.G. & Grigorenko, E.L. (2012). Dynamic teting and assessment. In Encyclopedia of the Sciences of Learning. Seel, N. Springer: New York.
- Elliott, J.G. & Girgorenko, E.L. (2012). Reading disabilities. In The Routledge International Handbook on Learning. Jarvis, P. Routledge: London.
- Elliott, J. & Tymms, P. (2012). What the evidence says and what we need to investigate. In Contemporary Debates in Childhood Education and Development. Suggate, S. & Reese, E. Routledge. 275-284.
- Smith, P. & Elliott, J.G. (2011). Social Problems in Schools. In Introduction to Developmental Psychology. Slater, A.M. & Bremner, J.G. Oxford: Wiley-Blackwell.
- Elliott, J.G. & Tymms, P.B. (2011). What is the pedagogical value of homework? In Contemporary debates on child development and education. Suggate, S. & Reese, E. Routledge.
- Elliott, J.G., Grigorenko, E.L. & Resing, W. (2010). Dynamic assessment. In International Encyclopedia of Education. New York: Elsevier. 3.
- Gibbs, S.J. & Elliott, J.G. (2010). Dyslexia: a categorical falsehood without validity or utility. In Advances in learning and behavioral disabilities: Vol. 2 Literacy and Learning. Scruggs, T.E. & Mastropieri, M.A. Bingley: Emerald. Vol. 2.
- Tan, M., Aljughaiman, A., Elliott, J.G., Kornilov, S.A., Ferrando Prieto, M., Bolden, D.S., Adams-Shearer, K., Chart, H.E., Newman, T., Jarvin, L., Sternberg, R.J. & Girgorenko, E.L. (2009). Considering Language and Culture: The international translation and adaptation of the Aurora Assessment Battery. In Assessment of Abilities and Competencies in the Era of Globalization. Grigorenko, E. New York: Springer.
- Tan, M., Aljughaiman, A.M., Elliott, J.G., Kornilov, S.A., Prieto, M., Bolden, D., Adams-Shearer, K., Chart, H., Newman, T., Jarvin, L., Sternberg, R.J. & Grigorenko, E.L. (2009). Considering language, culture and cognitive abilities: The international translation and adaptation of the Aurora Assessment Battery. In Multicultural Psychoeducational Assessment. Grigorenko, E.L. (ed) New York: Springer. 443-468.
- Elliott, J.G. & Gibbs, S. (2009). Does dyslexia exist?. In New Philosophies of Learning. Cigman, R. & Davis, R. Oxford: Blackwell. 115-130.
- Elliott, J. (2009). Motivation and behaviour in Russian schools the impact of globalisation upon the Soviet educational legacy. In The World Yearbook of Education 2009: Childhood Studies and the Impact of Globalization: Policies and Practices at Global and Local Levels. Fleer, M., Hedegaard, E. & Tudge, J. (eds) New York: Routledge. 233-253.
- Elliott, J. (2009). Western influences upon post-Soviet Education. In The World Yearbook of Education 2009: Childhood Studies and the Impact of Globalization: Policies and Practices at Global and Local Levels. Fleer, M., Hedegaard, M. & Tudge, J. New York: Routledge.
- Elliott, J. (2008). The Art and Heart of a Skilled Teacher: A Personal Reflection. In The Ones We Remember. Scholars Reflect on Teachers who made a Difference. Pajares, F. & Urdan, T. Information Age Publishing.
Other publications: research
- Higgins, S., Baumfield, V., Newton, D. & Elliott, J. (2009). Developing effective multimedia instruction for expert learners. American Journal of Psychology 567-569.
Available for media contact about:
- Education: Many issues to do with children's development, behaviour and learning, both in relation to UK and internationally
- Psychology: Many issues to do with children's development, behaviour and learning, both in relation to UK and internationally
- Child health: Many issues to do with children's development, behaviour and learning, both in relation to UK and internationally
- Education: Childen with special educational needs, e.g. ADHD, dyslexia and conduct disorders
- Psychology: Childen with special educational needs, e.g. ADHD, dyslexia and conduct disorders
- Education: Education practices in different countries
- Education: Teacher and parent skills in relation to behaviour management
- Psychology: Teacher and parent skills in relation to behaviour management