Dr Anthony Parton
After completing a degree in the History of Art & Design (1980) and a Ph.D. (1985) at the University of Newcastle-upon-Tyne, Dr. Parton worked as a lecturer in the History of Art at St. Andrews University, the University of Newcastle-upon-Tyne and with the Open University.
He is the director of the undergraduate History of Art modules at Durham University which comprise the Level 1 “Introduction to Modern Art” and “Beauty and the Beast” modules, the Level 2 “Art and Design in Belle Epoque France”, “Cow on the Roof: Visual Arts in the Interwar Period” and “Objects of Desire: Oriental Art” modules, and the Level 3 “Isms of Art in Early 20th Century Europe”, “Double Dissertation in Art History” and “The Work of Art: Gallery Placement” modules. He is also a dissertation supervisor for MA and Ph.D. History of Art students.”
Dr. Parton's research interests lie in the field of Early-20th century Russian art and design and he has published widely on this subject.
He is also a member of the Steering Committee for the Postgraduate Centre for Visual Arts and Cultures at Durham University.
Information for prospective doctoral research student supervisions
Dr. Parton would welcome supervision enquiries from students with an interest in the history of late 19th and early 20th century art and design. Specific areas of interest include late 19th century Symbolism, early 20th century abstraction and primitivism as well as the impact of Oriental art upon western practice.
Indicators of Esteem
- 2013: Invited seminar:
Invited to give a paper at Edinburgh University as part of a Research Project that they operate called "The Edge of Words"
- Art History
- Parton, A., Newton, D. P. & Newton, L. (2017). The implementation of object-centred learning through the visual arts: Engaging students in creative, problem-based learning. The International Journal of Education through Art 13(2): 147-162.
- Parton, A. (2013). Keys to the Enigmas of the World: Russian Icons in the Theory and Practice of Mikhail Larionov, 1913. InCoRM Journal 4(Spring-Autumn): 15-24.
- Parton, A. (2012). A Sense of Place: 'Isaak Levitan - Lyrical Landscape. Apollo: The International Art Magazine 175(595): 96-97.
- Parton, A. (2011). Goncharova's Rayism. InCoRM Journal 2(Spring-Autumn): 26-33.
- Parton, A., Bazetoux, D. & Tetiva, V. (2011). Natálie Gončarova. Hluboká nad Vltavou: Alsova jihoceská galerie.
- Parton, A. (2010). Goncharova: The Art & Design of Natalia Goncharova. Antique Collectors' Club, UK.
- Parton, A. (2007). Natalia Goncharova: Oeuvres sur papier. Paris: Galerie 1900-2000.
Chapter in book
- Parton, A. (2018). Natalia Gontcharova et Mikhail Larionov. In Couples Modernes: 1900-1950: exposition, Centre Pompidou-Metz, du 28 avril au 20 août 2018 et Londres, Barbican Centre, du 10 octobre 2018 au 27 janvier 2019. Lavigne, Emma, Biezunski, Elia, Créteur, Pauline & Pitiot, Cloé Paris: Gallimard / Centre Pompidou-Metz. 229-232.
- Parton, A. (2015). Goncharova, Natalia. In The Encyclopaedia of the Bible and Its Reception. Klauck, H.-J. Berlin, Munich, Boston, New York: De Gruyter. 10: 611-613.
- Parton, A. (2009). Killing the Moonlight and Conquering the Sun: the Theatrical Origins of Russian Futurist theatre. In Victory over the Sun. Railing, P. 2: 17-30.