Information for Students
There are places currently available in the CDT for students who will be starting their PhD between October 2019 and January 2020 on an energy related area, preferably of multidisciplinary nature, and who have at least 3.5 years years full funding for a PhD. If you are interested in applying please do so as soon as possible.
Benefits of Joining
Becoming a member of the CDT in Energy will provide you with a unique opportunity to undertake world-class specialist research whilst also gaining a multidisciplinary understanding of the different dimensions of energy.
If you are selected to become a member of the CDT in Energy you will be able to attend the CDT's programme of guest lectures, supplementary courses, workshops and site visits whilst you complete your doctorate.
Requirements and Eligibility
To be considered for membership of the CDT in Energy you need to:
- Have been accepted on to a programme of doctoral study at Durham University commencing in the 2019/20 academic year (October 2019 onwards)
- Be planning to conduct research into an energy-related field.The CDT is truly multidisciplinary and welcomes applications from students who will be conducting research into all aspects of energy, whether that be from a pure science, engineering or social science perspective.
- Have secured funding for your PhD for at least 3.5 years.
Membership of the CDT can be held in conjunction with postgraduate studentships, such as those provided by the EPSRC, ESRC, NERC or an industrial sponsor.
Your application to join the CDT in Energy will be assessed against the following criteria:
- Your academic history and performance to date.
- The scope and objectives of your doctoral research proposal, focusing on whether it is multidisciplinary in nature and how it is aligned to the Durham Energy Institute's research strategy and key themes.
- The involvement of external partners - from both the private and public sectors - in your research.
- Your general interest in the broader aspects of energy.
To read about the different projects that current members of the CDT are working on click here.
You and your supervisor need to complete and submit a CDT in Energy Application Form to apply for membership, which can be downloaded below. This form asks you and your supervisor to provide information about your doctoral project and your general interests in energy, and it will be used in conjunction with the information you provided when you applied for admission to Durham to study for your PhD.
Your application will then go on to be reviewed by the CDT managment team. If your application is selected to go forward to be considered you will be asked to attend for an interview.
If you have any questions about applying to join the CDT in Energy please contact:
Tel: +44 191 334 3690