We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. You can change your cookie settings at any time. Otherwise, we'll assume you're OK to continue.

Durham University

Counselling Service

Support from External Agencies


If you would like to report a sexual assault ring 999 in an emergency, or 101 in a non-emergency. The Police have specially trained officers, who are very experienced in helping victims of sexual assault. These officers will come out and meet you wherever and whenever you would like to speak about what has happened to you.

If you want to read more about what might happen if you make a police report you can have a look at this ‘report to court’ guide.

Sexual Assault Referral Centres

Most areas now have a Sexual Assault Referral Centre (SARC), for men and women. You can contact them yourself or ask a friend or someone from your College or the University to contact them on your behalf. You can approach them in confidence, whether or not you wish to report the assault. They offer advice, support, sexual health screening and a forensic medical examination if requested. They can collect and store forensic evidence, and support you if you later choose to report the incident to the police. It is also possible to pass on anonymous information about the assault, which may help agencies identify offending patterns/ behaviour or serial offenders.

For students in Durham, the SARC is The Meadows, 03333 448283,

Rape & Sexual Abuse Counselling Centre, 01325 369933,

The Rape and Sexual Abuse Counselling Centre is a charity that offers counselling and support to women who have experienced sexual violence in County Durham and Darlington. It is the local affiliated member of the national Rape Crisis network. It offers a helpline service and ongoing face-to-face and telephone-based counselling and support. Please check their website for current helpline opening times.

One of their specialist advisors is also available at the Durham University Counselling Service, where they will see all students and staff from Durham.

Rape Crisis Helpline, 0808 802 9999,

The national Rape Crisis helpline is based in London but takes calls from all over the country and is open from 12.00 - 2.30pm and 7.00 - 9.30pm daily. It can provide confidential support and information about local services.

Survivors UK,

Survivors UK are a charity offering helpline support to men who have experienced sexual violence, and their families and carers. Web and SMS chat can be accessed through their website.

Gay Advice Darlington and Durham (GADD), 01325 252522

Gay Advice provides a local service to all LGBT people including support for those who have experienced sexual violence. They offer one-to-one advice in person or by telephone, as well as more informal group support.

Your GP

If you need medical attention and do not wish to approach specialist services, you can approach your GP for an appointment.

Contact us

Durham University Counselling & Mental Health Service

Palatine Centre
Stockton Road
Durham, DH1 3LE

Tel.: 0191 334 2200

The Counselling team is