Skip to main content

Concerned About Someone?

What to do if you are concerned about someone.

Information about how to access internal and external support at Durham University if you are concerned about yourself or someone you know.
Information for Current Students
two students sitting on a bench holding cups of coffee


People reading book

Crisis Information

If you or someone you know is at risk, or in urgent need of emotional support, there is information on a range of internal and external resources offering support and guidance.

Find out more

Purple Line Separator Slim

For non-urgent concerns

If the student is unwilling to access support you can email the Counselling & Mental Health Service at or call 0191 334 2200 to speak to a member of staff about your concerns.

If your concern is related to sexual violence, further information is available at Sexual Misconduct & Violence: Prevention and Response - Durham University

Please remember that, whilst we can receive and consider your concerns and offer general advice, we cannot share any information about a student. Durham University respects students as independent adult learners and is obligated under data protection law to hold student data confidentially. We appreciate this can be distressing and frustrating and we endeavour to help within these limitations.

Purple Line Separator Slim

Remote resources

Wellbeing resources for students and families/parents to access remotely.


Mind have advice to help you support other people - and to look after your own wellbeing too.
logo for mind

Student Minds

Student Minds is the UK’s student mental health charity.
logo for student minds


Find out how to access NHS mental health services and where to get urgent help.
NHS logo

RC Psych

This webpage gives information about the process of adolescence and how the challenges which arise can be managed.

Charlie Waller

Helping young people to understand their own mental health, to equip them to support themselves and those around them, and to empower them to talk more.
Charlie Waller logo on white background


Get in touch

How you can find and contact the Durham University Counselling & Mental Health Service.

Contact Us

Durham University Counselling & Mental Health Service

Palatine Centre

Stockton Road



Telephone: 0191 334 2200