We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. You can change your cookie settings at any time. Otherwise, we'll assume you're OK to continue.

Counselling Service

Sexual Violence: Where to turn?

The term ‘sexual violence’ refers to a broad range of acts and experiences including, but not limited to, rape, sexual assault, sexual violence or coercion within a relationship, indecent exposure (‘flashing’), sexual harassment, and having intimate photographs taken or shared without your consent. If you or a friend has experienced sexual violence, either during your time studying or working at university or as a child/before you arrived, it is important that you know the range of sources of support available. You do not need to deal with it on your own. These can be difficult issues to discuss. You may or may not want support for yourself, and you may or may not want to report the incident(s) more formally. Experienced support is available to help you think through the options from here.

Contact us

Durham Campus

Tel: 0191 334 2200

Queen's Campus

Tel: 0191 334 0039

The Counselling Service is