We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. You can change your cookie settings at any time. Otherwise, we'll assume you're OK to continue.

Durham University

Counselling Service

Taking a break from study

If you are considering a break from study on mental health grounds, you need to talk to your College student support team.

At Durham, a break from study is called a concession; your College will usually apply for a concession on your behalf. If authorised, you will then receive a concession letter from your Faculty which outlines the terms of the concession. The letter will contain information about the requirements for your return to study, including a deadline for the submission of documents.

To find out more about the implications of taking a break from your studies, and the University support available, please read our Taking Time Out of Your Studies leaflet