We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. You can change your cookie settings at any time. Otherwise, we'll assume you're OK to continue.

Durham University

Counselling Service

Information for students concerned about a fellow student

If there is immediate risk to the safety of the person you are concerned about go to Crisis Page

For non-urgent concerns

There may be several reasons why you become concerned for a friend/housemate. They may speak to you about a problem they have; you may notice something about them that worries you; you may have read some worrying posts from/about them on social media.

Being willing to listen and offer supportive understanding is often a great help and all that is needed for transitory concerns. However, when these concerns become more worrying and longer term, this can have a detrimental impact on you and your studies.

Things to remember: Make sure you take care of yourself. Trying to support someone can be difficult, especially if there are more serious issues present. It is not your responsibility to provide ongoing care for your friend and you cannot solve their problems.

Urge them to seek appropriate support:

If your friend is unwilling to access appropriate support you can ring the Counselling Service to speak to a counsellor regarding your concerns. You can also speak to your own College support officer.

Check out our Self Help Resources