Professor David Budgen, BSc PhD CEng
Professor in the Department of Computer Science
Telephone: +44 (0) 191 33 41724
Room number: E367
Fellow of the Wolfson Research Institute for Health and Wellbeing
Telephone: +44 (0) 191 33 41724
(email at firstname.lastname@example.org)
Indicators of Esteem
- 2010: Invited Keynote Presentation: ECOOP 2010: Presented an invited keynote talk on the theme "From Advocacy to Evidence: A Discipline in Transition" at ECOOP 2010 (European Conference on Object Oriented Programming), Maribor, Slovenia, June 2010.
- 2010: Invited Participant: SPSD Workshop: I was an invited participant at the workshop on "Studying Professional Software Design" (SPSD), sponsored by the National Science Foundation (NSF) and held at the University of California, Irvine, in February 2010
- 2006: Conference Keynote: I was a keynote speaker at the IEEE-sponsored 19th Conference on Software Engineering Education and Training, Oahu, Hawaii, 2006.
- 2004: IEEE-CS/ACM Working Group: I represented the British Computer Society as a member of the IEEE-CS/ACM working group that developed the SE2004 curriculum guidelines for teaching undergraduate software engineering programmes. Published by IEEE Computer Society Press as "Software Engineering 2004: Curriculum Guidelines for Undergraduate Degree Programs in Software Engineering"
- 1997: EPSRC College: I have been a member of the EPSRC College since its inception in 1997, have reviewed extensively and have taken part in a number of award panels.
- Innovative Computing
- 1: Brereton, Pearl., Kitchenham, Barbara A., Budgen, David., Turner, Mark. & Khalil, Mohamed. (2007). Lessons from applying the systematic literature review process within the software engineering domain. Journal of Systems & Software 80(4): 571-583.
- 2: Ratcliffe Martyn. & Budgen, David. (2005). The application of use cases in systems analysis and design specification. Information & software technology 47(9): 623-641.
- 3: Turner, Mark., Zhu, Fujun., Kotsiopoulos, Ioannis., Russell, Michelle., Budgen, David., Bennett, Keith., Brereton, Pearl., Keane, John., Layzell, Paul. & Rigby, Michael. (2004). Using web service technologies to create an information broker an experience report. 26th International Conference on Software Engineering (ICSE 2004), Edinburgh, Scotland, IEEE.
- 4: Budgen, David. & Thomson, Mitchell. (2003). CASE tool evaluation experiences from an empirical study. Journal of systems and software 67(2): 55-75.
- Sheikh, Abdullah, Munro, Malcolm & Budgen, David (2020). A Service Scheduling Security Model for a Cloud Environment. International Journal for Advanced Computer Science and Applications (IJACSA)
- Budgen, David, Brereton, Pearl, Williams, Nikki & Drummond, Sarah (2020). What support do systematic reviews provide for evidence-informed teaching about software engineering practice?. e-Informatica Software Engineering Journal 14(1): 7-60.
- Sheikh, Abdullah, Munro, Malcolm & Budgen, David (2019). Evaluating a Cloud Service using Scheduling Security Model (SSM). International Journal of Advanced Computer Science and Applications 10(10): 525-532.
- Altuwaijri, Eman, Budgen, David & Maxwell, Sharyn (2019). Factors impeding the effective utilisation of an electronic patient report form during handover from an ambulance to an emergency department. Health Informatics Journal 25(4): 1705-1721.
- Sheikh, Abdullah, Munro, Malcolm & Budgen, David (2019). Systematic Literature Review (SLR) of Resource Scheduling and Security in Cloud Computing. International Journal of Advanced Computer Science and Applications 10(4): 35-44.
- Budgen, David, Brereton, Pearl, Drummond, Sarah & Williams, Nikki (2018). Reporting Systematic Reviews: Some Lessons from a Tertiary Study. Information and Software Technology 95: 62-74.
- Budgen, David, Brereton, Pearl, Williams, Nikki & Drummond, Sarah (2018). The contribution that empirical studies performed in industry make to the findings of systematic reviews: A tertiary study. Information and Software Technology 94: 234-244.
- Anjum, Maria & Budgen, David (2017). An investigation of modelling and design for software service applications. PLOS ONE 12(5): e0176936.
- Kitchenham, Barbara, Madeyski, Lech, Budgen, David, Keung, Jacky, Brereton, Pearl, Charters, Stuart, Gibbs, Shirley & Pohthong, Amnart (2017). Robust Statistical Methods for Empirical Software Engineering. Empirical Software Engineering 22(2): 579-630.
- Berry, Jonathan, Budgen, David & Holliman, Nick (2015). Evaluating subjective impressions of quality controlled 3D films on large and small screens. Journal of Display Technology 11(11): 927-938.
- Zhang, Cheng & Budgen, David (2013). A survey of experienced user perceptions about software design patterns. Information and Software Technology 55(5): 822-835.
- Kitchenham, Barbara, Sjoberg, Dag, Dyba, Tore, Brereton, Pearl, Budgen, David, Host, Martin & Runeson, Per (2013). Trends in the quality of human-centric software engineering experiments--a quasi-experiment. IEEE Transactions on Software Engineering 39(7): 1002-1017.
- Kitchenham, Barbara, Sjoberg, Dag, Dyba, Tore, Pfahl, Dietmar, Brereton, Pearl, Budgen, David, Host, Martin & Runeson, Per (2012). Evaluating the quality of software engineering experiments--three empirical studies. Information and Software Technology 54(8): 804-819.
- Zhang, Cheng & Budgen, David (2012). What Do We Know About the Effectiveness of Software Design Patterns?. IEEE Transactions on Software Engineering 38(5): 1213-1231
- Budgen, David., Burn, A. J., Brereton O. P., Kitchenham B. A. & Pretorius R. (2011). Empirical evidence about the UML: a systematic literature review. Software: Practice and Experience 41(4): 363-392.
- Budgen, David., Burn, Andy J. & Kitchenham, Barbara. (2011). Reporting computing projects through structured abstracts: a quasi-experiment. Empirical Software Engineering 16(2): 244-277.
- Kitchenham Barbara A., Budgen David & Brereton O. Pearl. (2011). Using mapping studies as the basis for further research -- A participant-observer case study. Information and Software Technology 53(4): 638-651.
- Mark Turner, Barbara Kitchenham, Pearl Brereton, Stuart Charters & David Budgen (2010). Does the Technology Acceptance Model predict Actual Use? A Systematic Literature Review. Information and Software Technology 52(5): 463-479.
- Kitchenham, Barbara A., Brereton, Pearl, Turner, Mark, Niazi, Mahmood K., Linkman, Stephen, Pretorius, Rialette & Budgen, David (2010). Refining the systematic literature review process--two participant-observer case studies. Empirical Software Engineering 15(6): 618-653.
- Barbara Kitchenham, Rialette Pretorius, David Budgen, O. Pearl Brereton, Mark Turner, Mahmood Niazi & Stephen Linkman (2010). Systematic Literature Reviews in Software Engineering -- A Tertiary Study. Information and Software Technology 52(8): 792-805.
- Budgen, David, Bailey, John, Turner, Mark, Kitchenham, Barbara, Brereton, Pearl & Charters, Stuart (2009). Cross-domain investigation of empirical practices. IET Software 3(5): 410-421.
- Budgen, David, Kitchenham, Barbara, Brereton, Pearl, Turner, Mark, Charters, Stuart & Linkman, Stephen (2009). Employing the Evidence-Based Paradigm for Technology-related Decision Making. Evidence & Policy 4(2): 149-169.
- Kitchenham, Barbara, Brereton, O. Pearl, Budgen, David, Turner, Mark, Bailey, John & Linkman, Stephen (2009). Systematic Literature Reviews in Software Engineering: A Systematic Literature Review. Information & Software Technology 51(1): 7-15.
- Budgen, David, Kitchenham, Barbara A., Charters, Stuart, Turner, Mark, Brereton, Pearl & Linkman, Stephen (2008). Presenting software engineering results using structured abstracts: A randomised experiment. Empirical Software Engineering 13(4): 435-468.
- Kitchenham, B.A., Budgen, D. & Brereton, P. (2015). Evidence-Based Software Engineering and Systematic Reviews. CRC Press.
- Budgen, David (2016). Aggregating empirical evidence for more trustworthy decisions. In Perspectives on Data Science for Software Engineering. Zimmerman, Tom, Williams, Laurie & Menzies, Tim Cambridge, MA: Morgan Kaufmann. 181-186.
- David Budgen & Barbara Kitchenham (2014). Empirical Software Engineering. In Computing Handbook. T Gonzalez, J Diaz-Herrera & A Tucker CRC Press. 78-1 - 78-13.
- David Budgen & Pearl Brereton (2014). Evidence-Informed Software Engineering and the Systematic Literature Review. In Computing Handbook. T Gonzalez, J Diaz-Herrera & A Tucker CRC Press. 77-1 - 77-14.
- Alhassan, Zakhriya, Budgen, David, Alessa, Ali, Alshammari, Riyad, Daghstani, Tahini & Al Moubayed, Noura (2019), Collaborative Denoising Autoencoder for High Glycated Haemoglobin Prediction, in Tetko, Igor V. Kůrková, Věra Karpov, Pavel & Theis, Fabian eds, Lecture Notes in Computer Science 11731: 28th International Conference on Artificial Neural Networks, ICANN2019. Munich, Germany, Springer, Cham, 338-350.
- Sheikh, Abdullah, Munro, Malcolm & Budgen, David (2019), Cost and Effect of Using Scheduling Security Model in a Cloud Environment, 6th IEEE International Conference on Cyber Security and Cloud Computing (CSCloud 2019). Paris, France, IEEE, 95-101.
- Sheikh, Abdulla, Munro, Malcolm & Budgen, David (2018), SSM: Scheduling Security Model for a Cloud Environment, ACM International Conference Proceedings Series 2nd International Conference on Cloud and Big Data Computing (ICCBDC). Barcelona, Spain, ACM, New York, 11-15.
- Alhassan, Zakhriya, McGough, A. Stephen, Alshammari, Riyad, Daghstani, Tahani, Budgen, David & Al Moubayed, Noura (2018), Stacked Denoising Autoencoders for Mortality Risk Prediction Using Imbalanced Clinical Data, IEEE 17th International Conference on Machine Learning and Applications (ICMLA 2018). Orlando, Fl, USA, IEEE, 541-546.
- Alhassan, Zakhriya, McGough, Stephen, Alshammari, Riyad, Daghstani, Tahini, Budgen, David & Al Moubayed, Noura (2018), Type-2 Diabetes Mellitus Diagnosis from Time Series Clinical Data using Deep Learning Models, in Kůrková, Věra, Manolopoulos, Yannis, Hammer, Barbara, Iliadis, Lazaros & Maglogiannis, Ilias eds, Lecture Notes in Computer Science 1141: International Conference on Artificial Neural Networks (ICANN). Rhodes, Greece, Springer, 468-478.
- Budgen, D. (2016), What Do We Know and How Well Do We Know It? Current Knowledge about Software Engineering Practices, in Lorenz, P., Cardoso, J., Maciaszek, L.A. & van Sinderen, M. eds, Communications in Computer and Information Science 586: 10th International Joint Conference on Software Technologies (ICSOFT). Colmar, France, Springer, Cham, Switzerland, 3-16.
- Budgen, David, Kitchenham, Barbara, Charters, Stuart, Gibbs, Shirley, Pohthong, Amnart, Keung, Jacky & Brereton, Pearl (2013), Lessons from Conducting a Distributed Quasi-Experiment, Empirical Software Engineering & Measurement (ESEM) 2013. Baltimore, USA, ACM Press, Baltimore MD.
- Kitchenham, Barbara, Brereton, Pearl & Budgen, David (2010), The Educational Value of Mapping Studies of Software Engineering Literature, 1: 32nd International Conference on Software Engineering (ICSE 2010) ACM Press. Cape Town, South Africa, ACM, 589-598.
- Charters, Stuart, Budgen, David, Turner, Mark, Kitchenham, Barbara, Brereton, Pearl & Linkman, Stephen (2009), Objectivity in Research: Challenges from the Evidence-Based Paradigm, 20th Australian Software Engineering Conference, ASWEC 2009. IEEE Computer Society Press, 73-80.
- Budgen, David & Zhang, Cheng (2009), Preliminary reporting guidelines for experience papers, 13th International Conference on Evaluation and Assessment in Software Engineering (EASE 2009). Durham, England, BCS-eWiC, Durham, 1-10.
- Kitchenham, Barbara, Brereton, Pearl, Turner, Mark, Niazi, Mahmood, Linkman, Stephen, Pretorius, Rialette & Budgen, David (2009), The Impact of Limited Search Procedures for Systematic Literature Reviews: A Participant-Observer Case Study, Third International Symposium on Empirical Software Engineering and Measurement. Florida, USA, IEEE Computer Society Press, Florida, 336-345.