Publication details for Dr George MertziosGiakos, G.C., Fraiwan, L., Patnekar, N., Sumrain, S., Mertzios, G.B. & Periyathamby, S. (2004). A sensitive optical polarimetric imaging technique for surface defects detection of aircraft turbine engines. IEEE Transactions on Instrumentation and Measurement 53(1): 216-222.
- Publication type: Journal Article
- ISSN/ISBN: 0018-9456
- DOI: 10.1109/TIM.2003.821497
- Keywords: High contrast resolution, High signal-to-noise ratio (SNR), Optical imaging, Polarimetry, Polarimetric detection.
- Further publication details on publisher web site
- Durham Research Online (DRO) - may include full text
Author(s) from Durham
The design of an optical polarimetric imaging system, aimed to detect cracks or structural defects on the surface of rotating aircraft engine shafts, is presented: The experimental results, clearly indicate that high. signal-to-noise ratio signals can be obtained, so that it minimizes the use of processing techniques.