Dr Ehsan Toreini, PhD
(email at firstname.lastname@example.org)
The main theme of my research is security engineering and practical cryptography. I researchs on physical security, web security and trustworthy machine learning; however, I am always ready to explore exciting research topics.
I graduated from Newcastle University in 2018 where I was a part of Secure and Resillient Systems (SRS group, formely known as Centre for Software Reliability, CSR). My thesis title was "New Advances in Tamper Evident Technologies". I designed secure protocols to ensure integrity of various subjects against malicious tampering. The results of my research have been published in esteemed media outlets such as The Economist, Wall Street Journal, Guardian and BBC.
I am invited expert in Device and Sensor Group of World Wide Web Concertsium (W3C). There, I collaborate with other members to set new starndards for security and privacy issues of sensors conenctivity in modern browsers.
Also, I am interested into hardware security and secure identification of smart devices in various Internet of Things (IoT) infrustures.
- Trust in Emerging Technologies
- Integrity Assurance Mechanisms
- Side Channel Attacks
- Web Browser Security
- Trustworthy Machine Learning
- Hao, Feng, Wang, Shen, Bag, Samiran, Procter, Rob, Shahandashti, Siamak F, Mehrnezhad, Maryam, Toreini, Ehsan, Metere, Roberto & Liu, Lana (2020). End-to-End Verifiable E-Voting Trial for Polling Station Voting at Gateshead. IEEE Security \& Privacy
- Aitken, Mhairi, Toreini, Ehsan, Carmichael, Peter, Coopamootoo, Kovila, Elliott, Karen & van Moorsel, Aad (2020). Establishing a social licence for Financial Technology: Reflections on the role of the private sector in pursuing ethical data practices. Big Data \& Society 7(1): 2053951720908892.
- Ng, Magdalene, Coopamootoo, Kovila PL, Toreini, Ehsan, Aitken, Mhairi, Elliot, Karen & van Moorsel, Aad (2020). Simulating the Effects of Social Presence on Trust, Privacy Concerns \& Usage Intentions in Automated Bots for Finance. arXiv preprint arXiv:2006.15449
- Toreini, Ehsan, Aitken, Mhairi, Coopamootoo, Kovila PL, Elliott, Karen, Zelaya, Vladimiro Gonzalez, Missier, Paolo, Ng, Magdalene & van Moorsel, Aad (2020). Technologies for Trustworthy Machine Learning: A Survey in a Socio-Technical Context. arXiv preprint arXiv:2007.08911
- Toreini, Ehsan, Shahandashti, Siamak F, Mehrnezhad, Maryam & Hao, Feng (2019). DOMtegrity: ensuring web page integrity against malicious browser extensions. International Journal of Information Security 18(6): 801-814.
- Mehrnezhad, Maryam, Toreini, Ehsan, Shahandashti, Siamak F & Hao, Feng (2018). Stealing PINs via mobile sensors: actual risk versus user perception. International Journal of Information Security 17(3): 291-313.
- Mehrnezhad, Maryam, Bafghi, Abbas Ghaemi, Harati, Ahad & Toreini, Ehsan (2017). PiSHi: click the images and I tell if you are a human. International Journal of Information Security 16(2): 133-149.
- Toreini, Ehsan, Shahandashti, Siamak F & Hao, Feng (2017). Texture to the rescue: Practical paper fingerprinting based on texture patterns. ACM Transactions on Privacy and Security (TOPS) 20(3): 1-29.
- McCorry, Patrick, Toreini, Ehsan & Mehrnezhad, Maryam (2016). Removing trusted tallying authorities. School of Computing Science Technical Report Series
- Toreini, Ehsan, Randell, Brian & Hao, Feng (2015). An acoustic side channel attack on enigma. School of Computing Science Technical Report Series
- Clarke, Dylan, Toreini, Ehsan & Hao, Feng (2015). Determining User Passwords From Partial Information. School of Computing Science Technical Report Series
- Satvat, Kiavash, Forshaw, Matthew, Hao, Feng & Toreini, Ehsan (2014). On the privacy of private browsing-A forensic approach. Journal of information security and applications 19(1): 88-100.
- Toreini, Ehsan, Aitken, Mhairi, Coopamootoo, Kovila, Elliott, Karen, Zelaya, Carlos Gonzalez & van Moorsel, Aad (2020), The relationship between trust in AI and trustworthy machine learning technologies, Proceedings of the 2020 Conference on Fairness, Accountability, and Transparency. 272-283.
- Mehrnezhad, Maryam & Toreini, Ehsan (2019), What Is This Sensor and Does This App Need Access to It?, 6: Informatics. Multidisciplinary Digital Publishing Institute, 7.
- Mehrnezhad, Maryam, Toreini, Ehsan & Alajrami, Sami (2018), Making sense of sensors: mobile sensor security awareness and education, Proceedings of the 7th Workshop on Socio-Technical Aspects in Security and Trust. 40-52.
- Toreini, Ehsan (2018). New advances in tamper evident technologies. Newcastle University. PhD.
Available for media contact about:
- Computer Science: cyber security, applied cryptography, ethical machine learning, web security