We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. You can change your cookie settings at any time. Otherwise, we'll assume you're OK to continue.

Durham University

Welcome to Durham University's Common Awards website

Financial & Disability support

Financial Support

Students who are studying towards a Common Award at a Theological Education Institution (TEI) may be eligible to receive statutory support (Tuition Fee Loans, Maintenance Loans/Grants, Disability Support and supplementary grants) from Student Finance England (and equivalents in Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland) if that TEI has been “designated” for statutory support under the Education (Student Support) Regulations 2011 (and with regard to the Common Awards programmes specifically). Information on obtaining designation, plus contact details for further information, may be found on the Student Finance England Practitioners’ Website at

Students who are studying towards a Common Award at a Theological Education Institution (TEI) are not Durham University students for statutory support purposes. They may not apply for statutory support (including Disability Support) as Durham University students. If a student mistakenly applies for statutory support as a Durham University student please contact Mrs Elizabeth Lovett on

Disability Support

Q&A Guidance Booklet on Disability Support

We have developed a Q&A guidance booklet to provide information to staff in TEIs regarding support for disabled students. The booklet covers aspects such as:

  • student records
  • assessment and examination
  • teaching and supporting learning

Download the Q&A Guidance Booklet

What disability support will Durham provide to TEIs?

As part of its contract with the Archbishops’ Council, Durham has committed to providing advice to members of staff in TEIs in relation to disability support for students on the Common Awards programmes. We may be able to offer advice on matters relating to support for students who have:

  • a recognised disability;
  • a specific learning difference (SpLD);
  • a medical condition;
  • or a mental health problem that impacts upon their ability to participate fully in their programme of studies.

In particular, we should be able to advise on matters relating to reasonable adjustments, taking into consideration best practice in the sector.

While the University is not able to provide assessment or screening of students, we may be able to offer general advice to TEI staff.

How can TEIs access the advice?

Members of staff in the TEIs are welcome to contact the Common Awards Team in the first instance. The Common Awards Team will liaise with the relevant members of staff within the University, including staff in the University’s Disability Support Team, and will provide a response to you as quickly as possible.

Ministry Division advice and support

TEIs can also obtain advice by reading Ministry Division's policy on disability support, entitled Student support for students with additional needs studying within theological education institutions.