Faculty of Arts and Humanities
Celebrating Student AchievementOn 10 October 2016, our Faculty held our annual Celebrating Student Achievement event to mark the achievements of some students nominated by their departments for academic achievements, progress or effort. Guests were entertained by members of the Music Department and Durham University Light Opera Group and the students were presented with a commemorative plaque.
Music: Music, Media and Technologies RMA Study Day - deadline approaching
Saturday 20 May 2017, Durham University
Royal Musical Association Study Day
Keynote speaker: Frederick Moehn (King's College London)
How do media and technology shape music-making, music experience, and music meaning? What contemporary and historical developments in these fields influence how music (of any kind) can be understood? How has music played a role in shaping wider media and technology environments?
This study day aims to attract scholars from across music’s sub-disciplines interested in analysing the significance of media and technologies in the production, dissemination and experience of music.
The deadline to submit abstracts is Friday 3 March 2017.
(27 Feb 2017)
Music: Geography, Music, Space - videos available online
Last month, Durham University hosted a one-day conference with the support of the Institute of Musical Research entitled ‘Geography, Music, Space’.
We are pleased to present a selection of videos from the event:
Please direct enquiries to Samuel Horlor at email@example.com
(24 Feb 2017)
For more Faculty News click here more....
Tuesday 28 February 2017
- Music: Research Forum: Anne Hyland (University of Manchester) 2:00pm, Lecture Room
- School of Modern Languages and Cultures: Modern European Research Seminar: Professor Steve Smith [Oxford] 'The Russian Revolutions: a centenary perspective' 5:15pm, Concert Room, Music Department, Durham University
- Department of History: Modern European Research Seminar: Steve Smith (Essex): The Russian Revolutions – a centenary perspective 5:15pm to 6:45pm, The Concert Room, Music Department
- School of Modern Languages and Cultures: Language Café 6:00pm to 8:00pm, Students' Union, Dunelm House, Elvet Riverside
Wednesday 1 March 2017
- SGIA: Alan Milne Memorial Address - 'Rootless Desert and the Problem of Punishment (with some tangential remarks on Evelyn Waugh, Alasdair MacIntyre, and Donald Trump)' 4:15pm, IM201, Al-Qasimi Building, Professor Matt Matravers, University of York
Interested in finding out about more Faculty Events? Click here to see more....