Faculty of Arts and Humanities
The Faculty of Arts & Humanities has seven departments and one school. It also has a Liberal Arts programme, English Language Centre and a Centre for Foreign Language Study. In the Times Good University Guide, almost every department is ranked within the top five in the UK.
School of Modern Languages and Cultures: The Bigas Luna Tribute announces four new events in Australia
Durham University announces the next four events of the Bigas Luna Tribute in Australia this April and May. The Australian events are presented by Betty Bigas and Santiago Fouz in collaboration with the Spanish Film Festival of Australia, Palace Cinemas, the Embassy of Spain in Australia, and The University of Melbourne. Australian events will include film screenings, panel discussions and special receptions with Spanish guitar music, food and drink inspired by the ‘Iberian Portraits’ trilogy of films (which are also part of the film festival programme).
There are five participating venues: Palace Cinema theatres in Melbourne (ASTOR), Brisbane (CENTRO), Sydney (CENTRAL and NORTON) and Canberra (ELECTRIC). The films selected are: Jamón, jamón (1992), Huevos de oro/Golden Balls (1993), La teta y la luna/The Tit and the Moon (1994) and the posthumous documentary Bigas x Bigas (2017) - Australian premiere.
Screenings of Jamón, jamón in Melbourne (22 April), Brisbane (29 April) and Sydney (1 May) will be followed by a panel discussion with Professor Santiago Fouz Hernández (Durham) and Professor Alfredo Martínez Expósito (Melbourne) and a drinks and tapas reception with Spanish guitar. The screening of Jamón, jamón in Canberra (22 April) will be followed by a drinks and tapas reception.
In addition to the Bigas Luna Tribute, Prof Fouz-Hernández will give lectures on Bigas Luna at the University of Melbourne on 24 April and at the Instituto Cervantes in Sydney on 2 May.
For more information and full listings, please visit:
(19 Mar 2018)
Music: Venice visual ethnomusicology workshop with dept. expertise
The Intercultural Institute for Comparative Music Studies - Fondazione Giorgio Cini, Venice is calling for participants for a workshop on the Audio-visual Documentation of Fieldwork.
Taking place 11-16 June 2018, the workshop will be led by Marco Lutzu, alongside Simone Tarsitani, who is Research Technician in the Department of Music at Durham.
For more Faculty News click here more....
Tuesday 24 April 2018
- Music: Musicon: Beethoven 7:30pm, Durham Town Hall
Wednesday 25 April 2018
- English Studies: Inventions of the Text Seminar 5:30pm to 6:30pm, Seminar Room, Hallgarth House, Dr. Tim Milnes (University of Edinburgh)
Thursday 26 April 2018
- School of Modern Languages and Cultures: French Seminar Series: Emma Wilson (Cambridge) 'Title to be confirmed' 4:00pm, A56, Elvet Riverside I, Durham University
- Department of History: Restructuring Late Antiquity and the Early Middle Ages: Prof. Guy Halsall (York) 4:15pm to 5:30pm, History Department (43 North Bailey), Seminar Room 2, Prof. Guy Halsall (University of York)
- Department of History: Modern European History Seminar 5:15pm to 6:15pm, Seminar Room 1, History Department, Alexia Yates (Manchester)
Interested in finding out about more Faculty Events? Click here to see more....
25% Alumni Discount
25% MA Tuition Fees Discount for Durham Alumni