Faculty of Arts and Humanities
The Faculty of Arts & Humanities has seven departments and one school. It also has a Liberal Arts programme and a Centre for Foreign Language Study. In the Times Good University Guide, almost every department is ranked within the top five in the UK.
Theology and Religion: Congratulations Dr John Sentamu, Archbishop of York, Doctor of Divinity
During winter congregation 2020, over 1500 of our students will graduate at ceremonies in Durham Cathedral. We will be joined by family and friends to celebrate their hard work and inspiring achievements, and to wish them well in their future endeavours.
We also award honorary degrees to inspiring individuals, who are nominated by our colleagues, in recognition of their long and exemplary service of national and international acclaim.
This year, we awarded the Archbishop of York an Honorary Doctorate of Divinity, in recognition of his service to the Church of England and for the support and encouragement he offers our students and to St John’s College.
Music: Dr James Weeks wins Ivors Composer Award
Following his success in the British Composer Awards 2018, Dr James Weeks has again been successful in the re-named Ivors Academy Composer Awards 2019, winning in the Small Chamber Composition category with his string quartet Leafleoht (2018). The Ivors are the UK’s leading awards for composition.
(10 Dec 2019) » Music: Dr James Weeks wins Ivors Composer Award
For more Faculty News click here more....
Tuesday 21 January 2020
- Music: Research Forum: Shay Loya (City) 3:00pm, Concert Room, Department of Music
- Department of History: DUCCAH Seminar Series 2019-20 5:15pm to 6:30pm, Seminar Room 1, History Department, 43 North Bailey, Marco di Nunzio (University of Birmingham)
- Department of History: History Society Talk 7:00pm, Seminar Room 1, History Department, 43 North Bailey, Professor Alannah Tomkins
- Central Events: DULOG Presents 'Oklahoma!' 7:30pm to 10:00pm, Gala Theatre, Durham
Wednesday 22 January 2020
- School of Modern Languages and Cultures: The Translation Research Seminar Series: Poetry, Translation and the Afterlife of “Dead” Languages 3:00pm, A56, Elvet Riverside 1, Yael Almog and Adriana X Jacobs in Conversation
Interested in finding out about more Faculty Events? Click here to see more....
25% Alumni Discount
25% MA Tuition Fees Discount for Durham Alumni
Highest-ever global ranking in Arts & Humanities
The Times Higher Education (THE) World University Rankings by Subject 2020 place Durham University 27th among the world’s leading universities – up three places from last year.