Publication details for Professor Janet MontgomeryMontgomery, Janet, Budd, Paul & Evans, Jane (2000). Reconstructing the lifetime movements of ancient people: a Neolithic case study from southern England. European Journal of Archaeology 3(3): 370-385.
- Publication type: Journal Article
- ISSN/ISBN: 1461-9571, 1741-2722
- DOI: 10.1177/146195710000300304
- Keywords: Dentine, Enamel, Human teeth, Isotope dilution, Lead and strontium isotopes, Neolithic, PIMMS, TIMS.
- Further publication details on publisher web site
- Durham Research Online (DRO) - may include full text
Author(s) from Durham
A new procedure is described in which combined lead and strontium isotope analysis of archaeological human dental tissues can be used to comment on the lifetime movements of individuals. A case study is presented of four Neolithic burials – an adult female and three juveniles – from a shared burial pit excavated at Monkton-up-Wimbourne, Dorset. It is demonstrated that the adult's place of origin was at least 80km to the north-west in the area of the Mendips. It is also shown that all three juveniles moved over significant distances during their lives.