Publication details for Professor Sarah SempleSemple, S.J. (2003). Illustrations of Damnation in Late Anglo-Saxon Manuscripts. Anglo-Saxon England 32: 31-45.
- Publication type: Journal Article
- ISSN/ISBN: 0263-6751, 1474-0532
- DOI: 10.1017/S0263675103000115
- Keywords: Manuscript illumination, landscape, monuments, execution, hell, damnation
- Further publication details on publisher web site
- Durham Research Online (DRO) - may include full text
Author(s) from Durham
This paper interprets a group of innovative illustrations from
the eleventh century English manuscript, the Harley Psalter, in the
context of textual, documentary, place-name and archaeological evidence
for a uniquely late Anglo-Saxon conception of barrows, ancient monuments
and deviant burial places as places of damnation and hellish torment.