Publication details for Professor Charlotte RobertsRoberts, C. A., Knusel, C. & Race, L. (2004). A foot deformity from a Romano-British cemetery at Gloucester, England and the current evidence for Talipes in palaeopathology. International Journal for Osteoarchaeology 14(5): 389-403.
- Publication type: Journal Article
- ISSN/ISBN: 1047-482X, 1099-1212
- DOI: 10.1002/oa.723
- Keywords: Romano-British, Gloucester - England, foot deformity, computed tomography
- Further publication details on publisher web site
- Durham Research Online (DRO) - may include full text
Author(s) from Durham
A male skeleton from the Romano-British site at Kingsholm, Gloucester, is described with abnormalities in the humerus, femur, tibia, fibula and foot. Computed tomography of the femora to enable cross-sectional analysis suggested altered normal gait to compensate for the deformity. Differential diagnoses are considered and a diagnosis of clubfoot deformity is suggested. Palaeopathological evidence for clubfoot is rare in the literature but the cases reported to date are reviewed.