Publication details for Professor Charlotte RobertsBudd, P., Millard, A., Chenery, C., Lucy, S. & Roberts, C. (2004). Investigating population movement by stable isotope analysis: a report from Britain. Antiquity 78(299): 127-141.
- Publication type: Journal Article
- ISSN/ISBN: 0003-598X, 1745-1744
- DOI: 10.1017/S0003598X0009298X
- Keywords: oxygen, strontium, isotopes, residency, mobility
- Further publication details on publisher web site
- Durham Research Online (DRO) - may include full text
Author(s) from Durham
Stable isotopes present in local ground water get into people's teeth before they are 12 years old, and act as a signature to the area where they grew up (and drank the water). In a review of recent work in Britain the authors show the huge potential of this method for detecting population movement � and thus ultimately for investigating questions of migration, exogamy and slavery.