Publication details for Dr Andrew R MillardMillard, A. R. & Schroeder, H. (2010). 'True British sailors': A comment on the origin of the men of the Mary Rose. Journal of Archaeological Science 37(4): 680-682.
- Publication type: Journal Article
- ISSN/ISBN: 0305-4403
- DOI: 10.1016/j.jas.2009.06.031
- Keywords: Oxygen isotopes, British Isles
- Further publication details on publisher web site
- Durham Research Online (DRO) - may include full text
Author(s) from Durham
Bell, Lee-Thorp and Elkerton (2009) have recently published an isotopic investigation of the origins of 18 men whose remains were found in the wreck of the Mary Rose, Henry VIII’s warship, which sank in 1545. They conclude that a high proportion of the ship’s crew were foreigners and that this may have contributed to confusion onboard ship and the sinking of the vessel. We have re-evaluated the data of Bell et al. and conclude that only one of the 18 sailors demonstrably spent his childhood outside the British Isles.