Dr Ronan O'Donnell
(email at email@example.com)
My research focuses on landscape archaeology of the medieval to modern periods with a particular focus on post-medieval and modern landscapes, and on North-East England. I hold a BSc and PhD in Archaeology from Durham University and an MA in English Local History from University of Leicester, thus my expertise bridges Archaeology and History.
My PhD (completed 2014) applied Actor-Network Theory (ANT) to the examination of enclosure during the 18th and 19th centuries in Northumberland, UK. This revealed the complexity of the interplay between global and local actors within enclosure and its associated landscape changes.
- Landscapes of Complex Society Research Group
- North East Research Group
- Durham Medieval Archaeologists (DMA)
- Landscapes of the Great Depression in North-East of England
- Non-Representational Theories
- 20th century archaeology
- Medieval and post-medieval archaeology
- Landscape archaeology
- The use of historical methods and sources within archaeological research
- The relationship between landscape, society and land tenure
- Agricultural history
- O'Donnell, R.P. (2015). Assembling Enclosure: transformations in the rural landscape of post-medieval north-east England. University of Hertfordshire.
Chapter in book
- O'Donnell, Ronan (2018). Field Systems and the Arable Fields. In The Oxford Handbook of Later Medieval Archaeology in Britain. Gerrard, Christopher & Gutiérrez, Alejandra Oxford University Press. 86-101.
- Huxtable, Michael & O'Donnell, Ronan (2018). Medieval Colour. In The Oxford Handbook of Later Medieval Archaeology in Britain. Gerrard, Christopher & Gutiérrez, Alejandra Oxford University Press. 742-758.
- O'Donnell, R & Petts, D (2019). 'Rural' Rhetoric in 1930s Unemployment Relief Schemes. Rural History 30(1): 53-69.
- O'Donnell (2015). The creation of ring-fence farms: some observations from eighteenth- and nineteenth-century Northumberland. Agricultural History Review 63(1): 39-59.
- O'Donnell (2014). Conflict, agreement and landscape change: methods of enclosure of the Northern English countryside. Journal of Historical Geography 44: 109.
- O'Donnell, R.P. (2011). Adapting Landscapes: The Continual Modification of Leicestershire's Open Fields. Landscapes 12(2): 63-83.