Dr Kamal Badreshany
Telephone: +44 (0) 191 33 41576
Room number: 112
Contact Dr Kamal Badreshany (email at firstname.lastname@example.org)
I specialize in the quantitative analysis and geological characterization of ancient ceramics using archaeometric techniques, including ceramic petrography, scanning electron microscopy, and X-ray diffraction. Although incorporating data at the micro-level, I am a landscape-oriented anthropological archaeologist interested in human adaptation to changing social, economic, and environmental conditions, especially as related to increasing settlement density.
My research focuses on understanding the social and economic changes that accompanied the development of the first urban landscapes of the ancient Levant. I am especially interested in using a combination of archaeometric and landscapes approaches to assess changes in the modes of ceramic production and distribution that paralleled increased settlement nucleation during the Bronze Age in the Levant.
I completed my doctoral dissertation titled 'Urbanization in the Levant: an Archaeometric Approach to Understanding the Social and Economic Impact of Settlement Nucleation in the Biqāc Valley, Lebanon’ in the Department of Near Eastern Languages and Civilizations at the University of Chicago. Since 2002, I have participated in several field projects in Lebanon and Syria.
I currently run the Durham Archaeomaterials Research Centre (DARC) (www.darclab.com), an analytical research facility based in the Department of Archaeology that offers advanced chemical and materials analysis for academia and industry.
I am also a Postdoctoral Research Associate working with Professor Graham Philip on the CRANE project (Computational Research on the Ancient Near East: An Archaeological Data Integration, Simulation, and 3-D Visualization Initiative), examining the development of ceramic production in the vicinity of Homs, Syria from the Neolithic to the Iron Age.
Chapter in book
- Genz, H., Badreshany, K. & Jean, M. (2020). A View from the North: Black Wheelmade Ware in Lebanon. In Transitions, Urbanism, and Collapse in the Early Bronze Age: Essays in Honor of Suzanne Richard. Long, J.C. & Dever, W.G. Sheffield: Equinox Publishing.
- Badreshany, K. (2015). A Comparative Petrographic Analysis of Middle Bronze Age Ridged-Neck Pithoi from Tell el-Burak and Ashkelon. In The Tell el-Burak Archaeological Project Volume 1 Area I-II: Final Report on the Middle Bronze Age and Late Medieval Age Remains of the 2001-2011 Seasons of Excavation. Kamlah, J. & Sader, H. Beirut: Bibliothèque Archéologique et Historique.
- Badreshany, K., Genz, H. & Sader, H. (2007). An Early Bronze Age Site on the Lebanese Coast Tell Fadous-Kfarabida 2004 and 2005: Final Report. Bulletin d’Archéologie et d’Architecture Libanaises, 9: 5-115
- Badreshany, K, Philip, G & Kennedy, M (2019). The Development of Integrated Regional Economies in the Early Bronze Age Levant: new evidence from "Combed-Ware" jars. Levant
- Kennedy, M. L., Badreshany, K. & Philip, G. (2018). Drinking on the Periphery: The Tell Nebi Mend Goblets in their Regional and Archaeometric Context. Levant
- Schmit, A., Badreshany, K. (Joint First Author), Tachatou, E. & Sader, H. (2018). Insights into the economic organization of the Phoenician homeland: a multidisciplinary investigation of the later Iron Age II and Persian period Phoenician amphorae from Tell el-Burak. Levant 50(1): 52-90.
- Badreshany, K. (2016). Lebanon's Earliest Potting Traditions in Regional Context. Berytus 59: 5-42.
- Blanco-González, A., Krieter, A., Badreshany, K., Chapman, J. & Pánczél, P. (2014). Matching sherds to vessels through ceramic petrography: an Early Neolithic Iberian case study. Journal of Archaeological Science 50: 139-152.
- Badreshany, K. & Kamlah, J. (2013). Middle Bronze Age Pottery from Tell el-Burak, Lebanon. Berytus 53-54: 81-113.
- Genz, H., El-Zaatari, S., Cakilar, C., Badreshany, K. & Riehl, S. (2011). A Middle Bronze Age Burial from Tell Fadous-Kfarabida, Lebanon. Ägypten und Levante / Egypt and the Levant 20: 183-205.
- Badreshany, K. & Genz, H. (2009). Pottery Production on the Northern Lebanese Coast During the Early Bronze Age II-III. Bulletin of the American Schools of Oriental Research 355: 53-88.
- Badreshany, K. & Yanni, S. (2007). The Phosphorus Data from Tell Fadous-Kfarabida. Bulletin d’Archéologie et d’Architecture Libanaises 9: 93-100.
- Nitu, B., Singh I., Badreshany, K., Zhong, L., Henein, N. & Bryzik, W. (2002). Effect of EGR on Autoignition, Combustion, Regulated Emissions, and Aldehydes in DI Diesel Engines. Society of Automotive Engineers Technical Papers 2002-01-1153.
- Computational Research on the Ancient Near East (CRANE)