Publication details for Dr Derek KennetKennet, D. (2005). On the eve of Islam: archaeological evidence from Eastern Arabia. Antiquity 79(303): 107-118.
- Publication type: Journal Article
- ISSN/ISBN: 0003-598X, 1745-1744
- DOI: 10.1017/S0003598X00113730
- Keywords: first millennium AD, Sasanian, early Islamic, Arabia, forts
- Further publication details on publisher web site
- Durham Research Online (DRO) - may include full text
Author(s) from Durham
What was the archaeological context of the rise of Islam in Arabia? The author uses new work from Eastern Arabia to show that the advent of Islam coincided with the decline of the Sasanian hegemony and one of Arabia's least affluent periods in 3500 years of history.