Taster Weekend for prospective undergraduates
Durham University Archaeology Taster Weekend for prospective undergraduates
July 6th-7th 2019
The Department of Archaeology, Durham University is pleased to announce its first Year 12 Archaeology Taster Weekend running over the weekend of July 6th-7th 2019 in Durham. The Department of Archaeology is one of the world’s leading centres of archaeological scholarship, and a centre for excellence in all aspects of archaeological research and fieldwork.
Attendees will stay one night in St John’s College in the heart of the historic city centre of Durham. The weekend will act as an exciting chance to explore archaeology as a University subject at Durham. Participants will spend one day excavating at our field school at Auckland Castle, Bishop Auckland, and a day exploring a range of other archaeological activities in the Department in Durham. There will also be a chance to meet Durham archaeology staff and students and to find out more about the admissions process.
Archaeology is subject that covers topics across the arts and sciences, and is ideal for students with a broad range of A-level subjects.
- Applicants must be in year 12 or equivalent
- Be considering an application to Durham to study on one of our archaeology courses (BA/BSc Archaeology; BA Archaeology and Ancient Civilisations; BA Archaeology of the Historic World; BA Archaeology and Anthropology; BA Archaeology and Ancient History)
We aim to give priority to applicants who meet the following criteria, though consideration will be given to all applications
- From the state maintained sector, particularly where the school/college has a low overall A-level, Higher/Advanced Higher (or equivalent) point score and/or schools or colleges with low progression rates to Higher Education
- First generation in their family to attend university
- Eligible for free school meals and/or pupil premium
- Who are (or have been) looked after, accommodated or in care who will only need to meet the study year and academic requirements
Please complete the application form
You will need to arrange for a teacher or equivalent (not family member) to send a short academic reference commenting on your academic ability and enthusiasm for the subject to firstname.lastname@example.org
Both the form and the references must be sent by the deadline of 17:00 June 7th 2019