Dr Papreen Nahar - all publications
- Translated by Papreen Nahar & Original by Sonia Nishat Amin (2003). The world of Muslim Women in Colonial Bengal, 1876-1939 (Translated from English to Bengali). Bangla Academy Publishers, Dhaka.
- Nahar, P. (2010). Book review. Medische Anthropologie 463-465.
Chapter in book
- Nahar, P. (2015). Childlessness in Bangladesh: Women’s Experiences of Access to Biomedical Services for Infertility. In Accessing Assisted Reproductive Technologies: Issues of Culture and Diversity (Working Title). Simpson, R. & Hamshire, K. Oxford: Berghahn.
- Nahar, P., Collins, A.E., Alamgir, F., Ray-Bennett, N.S. & Bhuiya, A. (2011). Interrelations between water, health and livelihood in disasters. In Interlacing Water and Human Health: Case Studies from South Asia. Prakash, A., Saravanan, V.S. & Chourey, J. Sage Publication, New Delhi, India. 405-424.
- Nahar, P. (2011). Understanding the stigma of childlessness through the meaning of ‘mandatory motherhood’. In Roads and Boundaries: Travels in search of (re-) connection. Tankink, M. & Vysma, M. Diemen, the Netherlands. 132-141.
- Nahar, P. (2010). Mystery of empty laps: Life of childless women in Bangladesh. In Obgyn: Issues in Obstetrics, Gynecology and Reproductive Health. Belgium: Universa Press. 28-34.
- Nahar, P. (2010). State of women’s health in 18th and 19th centuries in capital Dhaka. In Women in Capital Dhaka. Bangladesh Asiatic society, Dhaka. Sonia Nishat Amin Bangladesh Asiatic society, Dhaka. 113-127.
- Nahar, P. (2010). Violence against childless women in Bangladesh. In Gender based violence and sexual and reproductive health. Donta, B., Shah, I. & Puri, C.P. National Institute for Research in Reproductive Health, World Health Organisation, and Indian Society for the Reproduction and Fertility, Mumbai. 11-30.
- Sharmin, T., Nahar, P. & Chowdhury, K.K. (2009). Lay perception about illnesses and healthcare providers. In Health for the Rural Masses - Insights from Chakaria. Bhuiya, A. Print Link Printers. 55-66.
- Kazakos, K., Asthana, S., Balaam, M., Duggal, M., Holden, A., Jamir, L., Kannuri, N., Kumar, S., Mamindla, A., Manikam, A., Murthy, M., Nahar, P., Phillimore, P., Sathyanath, S., Singh, P., Singh, M., Wright, P., Yadav, D. & Olivier, P. (2016), A Real-Time IVR Platform for Community Radio, 2016 CHI Conference on Human Factors in Computing Systems - CHI '16. San Jose, California, Association for Computing Machinery, New York, NY, USA, 343-354.
- Nahar, P. (2007). Childlessness in Bangladesh: Suffering and resilience among rural and urban women. University of Amsterdam, The Netherlands. PhD.
- Nahar, P., Kishore Kannuri, N., Mikkilineni, S., Murthy, G.V.S. & Phillimore, P. (2017). At the margins of Biomedicine: The ambiguous position of ‘Registered Medical Practitioners’ in rural Indian healthcare. Sociology of Health & Illness 39(4): 614-628.
- Nahar, P., Kishore Kannuri, N., Mikkilineni, S., Murthy, G.V.S. & Phillimore, P. (2017). MHealth and the management of chronic conditions in rural areas: A note of caution from Southern India. Anthropology & Medicine 24(1): 1-16.
- Ray-Bennett, N.S., Collins, A.E., Edgeworth, R., Bhuiya, A., Nahar, P. & Alamgir, F. (2016). Everyday Health Security Practices as Disaster Resilience in Rural Bangladesh. Development in Practice 26(2): 170-183.
- Nahar, P. & van der Geest, S. (2014). How Women in Bangladesh Confront the Stigma of Childlessness: Agency, Resilience, and Resistance. Medical Anthropology Quarterly 28(3): 381-398.
- Nahar, P., van Reeuwijk, M. & Reis, R. (2013). Contextualising sexual harassment of adolescent girls in Bangladesh. Reproductive Health Matters 21(41): 78-86.
- van Reeuwijk, M. & Nahar, P. (2013). The importance of a positive approach to sexuality in sexual health programmes for unmarried adolescents in Bangladesh. Reproductive Health Matters 21(41): 69-77.
- van der Geest, S. & Nahar, P. (2013). Understanding life through unwanted childlessness: Ethnography and fiction from Ghana, Bangladesh and ‘Dystopia’. Anthropology Today 29(3): 3-7.
- Nahar, P., Collins, A.E. Bhuiya, A., Alamgir, F.a Ray-Bennet, N. & Edgeworth, R. (2012). Indigenous indicators of health security in relation to climatic disasters in Bangladesh, Environmental Hazards. Environmental Hazards Dec: 14-19.
- Nahar, P. (2012). Invisible women in Bangladesh: Stakeholders’ views on infertility services. Facts, views et vision in obgyn 4(3): 149-156.
- Nahar, P. (2012). Link between infertility and poverty: evidence from Bangladesh. Human Fertility 15(1): 18.
- Zaman, S. & Nahar, P. (2011). Search for a lost cow: Ethical dilemmas of doing medical anthropological research in Bangladesh. Medische Antropologie 23(1): 153-163.
- Nahar. P. (2011). Suffering of childless women in Bangladesh: the intersection of social identities of gender and class. Anthropology & Medicine 18(3): 327-338.
- Nahar, P. , Alamgir, F. Bhuiya, A. & Collins, A. (2010). Contexualizing disaster in relation to health in Bangladesh. Asian Journal of Environment Water and Pollution. Asian Journal of Environment Water and Pollution 7(1): 55-62.
- Ray-Bennett, N.S., Collins, A. Bhuiya, A. Edgeworth, R. Nahar, P. & Alamgir, F. (2010). Exploring the meaning of health security for disaster resilience through people’s perspectives in Bangladesh. Health & Place 16(3): 581-589.
- Nahar, P. (2010). Health Seeking Behavior of Childless Women In Bangladesh: An Ethnographic Exploration. Social Science and Medicine 71(10): 1780-1787.
- Alamgir, F. Nahar, P. , Collins, A.E. Ray-Bennett, N.S. & Bhuiya, A. (2009). Climate Change and Food Security: Health Risks and Vulnerabilities of the Poor in Bangladesh. The International Journal of Climate Change: Impacts and Responses 1(4): 37-54.
- Shahaduz, Z., Shah, A. & Nahar, P. (2001). A comparative study on Nutritional knowledge among adolescent girls exposed and non-exposed to nutrition intervention program. Journal of Preventive and Social Medicine 20(2).
- Nahar, P., Sharma, A. Sabin, K., Begum, L., Khaled Ahsan, S. & Abdulla H Baqu (2000). Living with infertility: experiences among urban slum population in Bangladesh. Reproductive Health Matters 8(15): 33-44.
- Ross, J.L., Laston, S.L. Nahar, K. Muna, L., Nahar, P. & Pelto, P.J. (1998). Women’s Health priorities: cultural perspectives on illness in rural Bangladesh. Health 2(1): 91-110.
- Nahar, P. (1999). The wings of the butterfly: Reproductive life and self-image of Dutch women with epilepsy. University of Amsterdam. Masters.
- Nahar, P. (1993). Changing pattern of marital partner selection among middleclass Muslim families in Bangladesh. University of Dhaka. Masters.
- Nahar, P. (2010). Do they match? Young people’s realities and needs relating to sexuality and youth friendly service provision in Bangladesh. Rutgers WPF and International Planned Parenthood Federation (IPPF).