Dr Muhammad A. Z. Mughal, MSc, PhD
Dr Mughal is Assistant Professor of Cultural Anthropology at King Fahd University of Petroleum & Minerals, Saudi Arabia and Honorary Research Fellow at the University of Durham, UK. Previously, he taught Development Anthropology at Riga Stradins University, Latvia and has worked on socioeconomic development at the World Bank and Pakistan Poverty Alleviation Fund. He was awarded the Durham Doctoral Fellowship by the University of Durham where he received his PhD in social anthropology. He has widely published on various topics and has edited special issues of different international peer-reviewed journals. His research and teaching interests include the cultural perceptions of time and space, critique on development, globalisation, Pakistani rural social organisation, and innovative social research methods.
- Mughal, Muhammad A. Z. (2018). Rural Urbanization, Land, and Agriculture in Pakistan. Asian Geographer.
- Mughal, Muhammad A. Z. (2018). Exchange Relations and Social Change in Rural Pakistan: Rituals and Ceremonies of Childbirth, Marriage and Death. South Asia Research 38(2): 177-194.
- Mughal, Muhammad A. Z. (2017). Time in Flux: Daily and Weekly Rhythms in Rural Pakistan. Asian Ethnology 76(2): 261-287.
- Lyon, Stephen M. and Mughal, Muhammad A. Z. (2017). Categories and Cultural Models of Nature in Northern Punjab, Pakistan. World Cultures eJournal 22(2).
- Lyon, Stephen M. and Mughal, Muhammad A. Z. (2016). Ties That Bind: Marital Networks and Politics in Punjab, Pakistan. Structure and Dynamics: eJournal of Anthropological and Related Sciences 9(2): 110-122.
- Mughal, Muhammad A. Z. (2015). Being and Becoming Native: A Methodological Enquiry into Doing Anthropology at Home. Anthropological Notebooks 21(1): 121-132.
- Mughal, Muhammad A. Z. (2015). Domestic Space and Socio-spatial Relationships in Rural Pakistan. South Asia Research 35(2): 214-234.
- Mughal, Muhammad A. Z. (2015). An Anthropological Perspective on the Mosque in Pakistan. Asian Anthropology 14(2): 166-181.
- Mughal, Muhammad A. Z. (2014). Calendars Tell History: Social Rhythm and Social Change in Rural Pakistan. History and Anthropology 25(5): 592-613.
Edited Volumes - Journals
- Mughal, Muhammad A. Z. (ed.). (2014). Special Issue: The Play of Time in Sports. Recreation and Society in Africa, Asia and Latin America 5(1).
- Mughal, Muhammad A. Z. (ed.). (2012). Special Edition: RAI’s First Annual Postgraduate Conference 2011. Durham Anthropology Journal 18(2).
- Mughal, Muhammad A. Z. (2013). Bloch, Maurice. In: Theory in Social and Cultural Anthropology: An Encyclopedia, vol. 1, pp. 77-80. Reece Jon McGee and Richard L. Warms (eds.). Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage Publications.
Weiss, Anita M. and Mughal, Muhammad A. Z. (2012). Pakistan. In: Berkshire Encyclopedia of Sustainability, vol. 9, pp. 236-240. Louis Kotzé and Stephen Morse (ed.). Great Barrington, MA: Berkshire Publishing.
Mughal, Muhammad A. Z. (2009). Time, Absolute. In: Encyclopedia of Time: Science, Philosophy, Theology, and Culture, vol. 3, pp. 1254-1255. James H. Birx (ed.). Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage Publications.
- Mughal, Muhammad A. Z. (2015). Book Review: Islamic Civilization in South Asia: A History of Muslim Presence and Power in the Indian Subcontinent, by Burjor Avari. Numen-International Review of the History of Religions 62(2-3): 379-382.
Mughal, Muhammad A. Z. (2010). Book Review: Extraordinary Anthropology: Transformations in the Field, by Jean-Guy A. Goulet and Bruce Granville Miller (eds). Studies in Religion-Sciences Religieuses 39(2): 310-311.
Editorial Board Member
- International Journal of Qualitative Methods
- South Asia Research
- International Journal of Human Rights in Healthcare
- Recreation and Society in Africa, Asia and Latin America
- Mass Media and Society
- Work and Society
- Cultural Anthropology
- Development Anthropology
- Introduction to Social Anthropology
Topics Interested in as PhD Examiner
- History, Culture, Languages and Politics of Pakistan
- Anthropology and History of South Asia
- Anthropology of Islam
- Human-Nature Relationship (Environmental Sustainability)
- Social Change (Globalization and Urbanization)
- Social Theory
- Anthropology of Time and Space
Research Projects and Consultancies
- Conceptual Models of Nature
- Languages and Ethnicities in Pakistan
- Environmental Sustainability
- Anthropology of Time and Space
- Rural Social Organisation