Dr Leonidas Oikonomakis, PhD, European University Institute (EUI)
(email at firstname.lastname@example.org)
Leonidas Oikonomakis is a COFUND Marie Curie Postdoctoral Research Fellow at the Department of Anthropology, Durham University. He was awarded his PhD from the Department of Political and Social Sciences of the European University Institute. His research and teaching focuses on Latin American politics, social movements, autonomy, revolutions, electoral politics, buen vivir, and the commons. He is the author of the monograph Political Strategies and Social Movements in Latin America. The Zapatistas and Bolivian Cocaleros (Palgrave Macmillan,2019), and has published articles in international peer-reviewed journals and chapters in edited volumes on social movements in Latin America and Southern Europe.
In the past, Leonidas has taught at the University of Crete and the Greek Open University. He has also held a research position at the Centre on Social Movement Studies (COSMOS) of the Scuola Normale Superiore in Florence,Italy, and has been affiliated with the Centro de Estúdios Superiores Universitários de la Universidad Mayor de San Simón de Cochabamba, Bolivia, and the Centre on European Studies of Middle East Technical University, Turkey.
His research has been financed by the Greek National Scholarships Foundation (IKY), the European University Institute (EUI), as well as by Marie Sklodowska Curie COFUND action.
Leonidas has been invited for guest lectures by University of Tubingen (Germany), Middle East Technical University (Ankara, Turkey), la Pontífica Universidad Javeriana (Bogotá, Colombia), la Scuola Normale Superiore (Florence, Italy), and la Universidad Autónoma Metropolitana (Mexico City, México).
Over the years he has been interviewed by several media outlets regarding his academic, artistic, and political engagements including RT News, Public Radio International, BBC, Canal4 Cochabamba, Medium, and others.
Apart from his native Greek, he is fluent in Engish, Spanish, and Italian.
- Buen Vivir
- Latin american politics
- Social movements
- Political ethnography
- Oikonomakis, Leonidas (2019). Political Strategies and Social Movements in Latin America. The Zapatistas and Bolivian Cocaleros. Cham: Palgrave Macmillan.
Chapter in book
- Milan, Chiara & Oikonomakis, Leonidas (2018). Not Seeing the Forest for the Trees. From Single-Issue Protest to Resonant Mass-Movements in Greece, Turkey and Bosnia-Herzegovina. In Social Movements in the Balkans: Rebellion and Protest from Maribor to Taksim. Bieber, Florian & Brentin, Dario Abingdon, Oxon: Routledge.
- Oikonomakis, Leonidas (2018). Solidarity in Transition. The Case of Greece. In Solidarity Mobilizations in the ‘Refugee Crisis’. Della Porta, Donatella Cham: Palgrave Macmillan. 65-98.
- Oikonomakis, Leonidas (2018). The Government of Hope, the hope of Government, and the role of elections as wave-breakers of radical grassroots processes. In Beyond crisis after the collapse of institutional hope in Greece, what?. Holloway, John, Nasioka, Katerina & Doulos, Panagiotis Oakland, CA: PM Press.
- Roos, Jerome & Oikonomakis, Leonidas (2016). A Global Movement for Real Democracy? The Resonance of Anti-Austerity Protest from Spain and Greece to Occupy Wall Street. In Street Politics in the Age of Austerity: From the Indignados to Occupy. Ancelovici, Marc, Dufour, Pascale & Nez, Héloïse Amsterdam Amsterdam University Press. 227-250.
- Oikonomakis, Leonidas & Espinoza, Fran (2014). Bolivia's MAS and the Movements that Brought it to State Power. In Rethinking Latin American social movements radical action from below. Stahler-Sholk, Richard, Vanden, Harry & Becker, Marc Rowman & Littlefield.
- Oikonomakis, Leonidas & Roos, Jerome (2014). They don’t represent us! the global resonance of the real democracy movement from the Indignados to occupy. In Spreading Protest Social Movements in Times of Crisis. Della Porta, Donatella & Mattoni, Alice ECPR Press.
- Oikonomakis, Leonidas (2019). From the rainy place to the Burnt Palace: How social movements form their political strategies. The case of the Six Federations of the Tropic of Cochabamba. Bulletin of Latin American Research tbc(tbc).
- Oikonomakis, Leonidas & O'Connor, Francis Patrick (2015). Preconflict Mobilization Strategies and Urban-Rural Transition: The Cases of the PKK and the FLN/EZLN. Mobilization: An international Quarterly 20(3): 379-399.