Dr Tom Widger - all publications
- Widger, Tom (2018). Suicide in Sri Lanka: The Anthropology of an Epidemic [paperback edition]. Routledge.
- Widger, Tom (2015). Suicide in Sri Lanka: The anthropology of an epidemic. Abingdon, Oxon: Routledge.
Chapter in book
- Osella, Filippo, Stirrat, R.L. & Widger, Tom (2015). Charity, philanthropy and development in Colombo, Sri Lanka. In New Philanthropy and Social Justice: Debating the conceptual and policy discourse. Morvaridi, B. Bristol, UK Chicago, IL: Policy Press. 137-156.
- Widger, Tom (2015). Learning suicide and the limits of agency: children's 'suicide play' in Sri Lanka. In Suicide and Agency: Anthropological Perspectives on Self-Destruction, Personhood and Power. Broz, L. & Münster, D. Farnham: Ashgate. 165-182.
- Osella, F. & Widger, T. (2018). ‘You can give even if you only have ten rupees!’ Muslim charity in a Colombo housing scheme. Modern Asian Studies 52(Special issue 1): 297-324.
- Widger, Tom (2018). Suicides, poisons and the materially possible: The positive ambivalence of means restriction and critical–critical global health. Journal of Material Culture 23(4): 396-412.
- Widger, Tom (2017). Accumulation through nationalism: the politics of profit in “neoliberal” Sri Lanka. Polity 7(2): 31-37.
- Widger, Tom (2017). Anti-Hesitation. Anthropology of this Century (18).
- Widger, Tom (2016). Philanthronationalism: junctures at the business-charity nexus in post-war Sri Lanka. Development and Change 47(1): 29-50.
- Widger, Tom (2016). Visions of philanthronationalism: the (in)equities of corporate good governance in Sri Lanka. Contemporary South Asia 24(4): 400-415.
- Widger, Tom (2015). Suicide and the 'Poison Complex': Toxic Relationalities, Child Development, and the Sri Lankan Self-Harm Epidemic. Medical Anthropology 34(6): 501-516.
- Widger, Tom (2014). Reading Sri Lanka's suicide rate. Modern Asian Studies 48(03): 791-825.
- Staples, James & Widger, Tom (2012). Situating suicide as an anthropological problem: ethnographic approaches to understanding self-harm and self-inflicted death. Culture, Medicine, and Psychiatry 36(2): 183-203.
- Widger, Tom (2012). Suffering, Frustration, and Anger: Class, Gender, and History in Sri Lankan Suicide Stories. Culture, Medicine, and Psychiatry 36(2): 225-244.
- Widger, Tom (2012). Suicide and the morality of kinship in Sri Lanka. Contributions to Indian Sociology 46(1-2): 83-116.
- Widger, Tom (2016). History of a suicide: My sister’s unfinished life. Centre for Medical Humanities
- Widger, Tom (2015). ‘Suicidology as a Social Practice’ A Reply. Social Epistemology Review and Reply Collective 4(3): 1-4.
- Widger, Tom (2015). In Pursuit of the Good Life: Aspiration and Suicide in Globalising South India. Centre for Medical Humanities
- Widger, Tom (2015). Pesticides and Global Health: Understanding Agrochemical Dependence and Investing in Sustainable Solutions. Medical Anthropology Quarterly 29(2).
- Widger, Tom (2014). In my mother’s house: civil war in Sri Lanka. Journal of the Royal Anthropological Institute 20(4): 164-165.
- Widger, Tom (2011). Dance and the nation: performance, ritual, and politics in Sri Lanka. Journal of the Royal Anthropological Institute 17(2).
- Staples, James & Widger, Tom (2012). Ethnographies of suicide: anthropological approaches to understanding self-harm and self-inflicted death. Culture, Medicine and Psychiatry, 36 (2).