Publication details for Prof Paul SillitoeSillitoe, P. (2016). Durham anthropology: a provincial history of a provisional discipline. History and Anthropology
- Publication type: Journal Article
- ISSN/ISBN: 0275-7206, 1477-2612
- DOI: 10.1080/02757206.2017.1279158
- Further publication details on publisher web site
- Durham Research Online (DRO) - may include full text
Author(s) from Durham
A history of anthropology in the Northumbrian region of England from the early Christian era, through the age of exploration and subsequent period of industrialization, to the twentieth century. Focussing on the various anthropological strands in the region’s long tradition of scholarship, the paper traces the discipline’s shifting provisional identity from a provincial perspective and eventual representation at Durham University in a Department of Anthropology.