Publication details for Professor Sandra BellConstant, N. & Bell, S. (2017). Governance, participation and local perceptions of protected areas: Unwinding traumatic nature in the Blouberg Mountain Range. Environmental Values 26(5): 539-559.
- Publication type: Journal Article
- ISSN/ISBN: 0963-2719 (print), 1752-7015 (online)
- DOI: 10.3197/096327117X15002190708100
- Further publication details on publisher web site
- Durham Research Online (DRO) - may include full text
Author(s) from Durham
Local perceptions of protected areas are important for conservation and the sustainability of protected areas. We undertook qualitative and ethnographic fieldwork to explore relationships between people and protected areas in the Blouberg mountain range, South Africa. The history of land use and current relationships with protected areas reveal legacies of marginalisation and immiseration, giving credence to a theory of traumatic nature. The impacts of traumatic nature manifest themselves in local discourses and narratives of nature, protected areas and conservation.