Publication details for Professor Gina PorterPorter, G. (2002). Living in a walking world: rural mobility and social equity issues in sub-Saharan Africa. World Development 30(2): 285-300.
- Publication type: Journal Article
- ISSN/ISBN: 0305-750X
- DOI: 10.1016/S0305-750X(01)00106-1
- Keywords: accessibility, mobility, transport, roads, services
- Further publication details on publisher web site
- Durham Research Online (DRO) - may include full text
Author(s) from Durham
Accessibility and mobility are embedded in the development nexus in far-reaching ways. Field studies of mobility among women and men in rural settlements with poor road access illustrate the frustrations and costs of living off-road. They are frequently marginalized and invisible, even to local administrations. State decentralization appears to have had little positive impact in reducing “tarmac bias” and improving rural service delivery. A range of potential interventions, from Intermediate Means of Transport to electronic communications is reviewed, and opportunities for building social capital in off-road areas through nurturing improvements in state–civil society relations are considered.