Dr Andrew J. Russell - all publications
- Russell, A.J. (2009). The Social Basis of Medicine. Oxford: Wiley-Blackwell.
- Russell, A. (2011). Review of G. Mathews and C. Izquierdo (2009) (eds) ‘Pursuits of Happiness: Well-Being in Anthropological Perspective’. Medical Anthropology Quarterly 25(4): 543-545.
Chapter in book
- Russell, A. (2015). Women and smoking in the North East of England. In Tipping Points: Modelling Social Problems and Health. Bissell, J., Caiado, C., Curtis, S., Goldstein, M. & Straughan, B. Chichester, West Sussex: Wiley. 32-48.
- Russell, A.J. (2011). Interprofessional Healthcare as Intercultural Experience - Early Years Training for Medical Students. In Sociology of Interprofessional Health Care Practice: Critical Reflections and Concrete Solutions. Kitto, S., Chesters, J., Thistlethwaite, J. & Reeves, S. Hauppauge, NY: Nova Science. 139-153.
- Russell, A.J. (2010). Perceptions of forests among the Yakkha of East Nepal: exploring the social and cultural context. In Culture and the Environment in the Himalaya. Guneratne, A. London: Routledge. 61-78.
- Russell, A. (2008). Nationalism and Ethnicity in a Hindu Kingdom: the Politics of Culture in Contemporary Nepal. In Nationalism and Ethnicity in Nepal. Gellner, D., Pfaff-Czarnecka, J. & Whelpton, J. Kathmandu: Vajra Books.
- Russell, A.J. (2004). Travelling Cultures: Study Tours in the Social Anthropological Curriculum and Beyond. In Current Policies and Practices in European Social Anthropology Education. Edgar, I. R. & Drackle, D. Oxford: Berghahn. EASA series, volume 2.: 193-207.
- Russell, A.J. (2001). Teenage Pregnancy and the Moral Geography of Teesside, U.K. In Managing Reproductive Life: Cross-Cultural Themes in Sexuality and Fertility. Tremayne, S. Oxford: Berghahn. Fertility, Reproduction and Sexuality 1: 221-234.
- Russell, A.J. (2000). Breaking Bones: Political Eruptions and Social Ruptures in Nepal, 1989-1990. In Electoral Politics in South Asia. Basu, S. & Das, S. Calcutta: K.P. Bagchi. Department of History Monograph 18.
- Russell, A.J. (1999). Taking Care? The Depo-Provera Debate. In Extending the Boundaries of Care: Medical Ethics and Caring Practices. Kohn, T. & McKechnie, R. Oxford: Berg. 65-88.
- Russell, A.J. (1997). Identity Management and Cultural Change: Religion and Politics Amongst the Yakha. In Nationalism and Ethnicity in a Hindu Kingdom: the Politics of Culture in Contemporary Nepal. Gellner, D., Pfaff-Czarnecka, J. & Whelpton, J. Reading: Harwood Publishers. 325-350.
- Russell, A.J., van Teijlingen, E., Lambert, H. & Stacy, R. (2002). Social and Behavioural Sciences in Medical Education. Report on a Workshop held on 27-28 June 2002. University of Durham, Department of Anthropology.
- Russell, A. & Rahman, E. (2015). The Master Plant: Tobacco in Lowland South America. London, New York: Bloomsbury.
- Russell, A.J., Sobo, E.J. & Thompson, M.S. (2000). Contraception Across Cultures: Technologies, Choices, Constraints. Cross-Cultural Research on Women. Oxford: Berg.
- Edgar, I.R. & Russell, A.J. (1998). Anthropology of Welfare. London: Routledge.
- Russell, A., Wainwright, M. & Tilson, M. (2016). Means and ENDS – e-cigarettes, the Framework Convention on Tobacco Control, and global health diplomacy in action. Global Public Health
- Norman, A.H., Russell, A.J. & Merli, C. (2016). The Quality and Outcomes Framework: Body commodification in UK General Practice. Social Science & Medicine 170: 77-86.
- Maatz, A., Wainwright, M., Russell, A., Macnaughton, J. & Yiannakou, Y. (2016). What’s ‘difficult’? A multi-stage qualitative analysis of secondary care specialists’ experiences with medically unexplained symptoms. Journal of Psychosomatic Research 90: 1-9.
- Russell, A.J., Wainwright, M. & Mamudu, H.M. (2015). A chilling example? Uruguay, Phillip Morris International, and WHO's Framework Convention on Tobacco Control. Medical Anthropology Quarterly 29(2): 256-277.
- Russell, A. & Lewis, S. (2015). Documenting Impact: An Impact Case Study of Anthropological Collaboration in Tobacco Control. Anthropology in Action 22(2): 14-23.
- Carro-Ripalda, S., Russell, A.J., Lewis, S. & Heckler, S. (2013). The making and changing of smoking persons in public health policy and practice: Ethnography of a world-first illicit tobacco program. Contemporary Drug Problems 40(1): 21-46.
- Lewis, S. & Russell, A. (2013). Young smokers' narratives public health, disadvantage and structural violence. Sociology of health and illness 35(5): 746-760.
- Macnaughton, J, Carro-Ripalda, S & Russell, A (2012). 'Risking Enchantment': how are we to view the smoking person?. Critical Public Health 22(4): 455-469.
- Raw, A., Lewis, S., Russell, A. & Macnaughton, R.J. (2012). A Hole in the Heart: confronting the drive for evidence-based impact research in arts and health. Arts and Health: an International Journal for Research, Policy and Practice 4(2): 97-108.
- Russell, A.J. (2012). Love, displacement, and ritual excision: a medical anthropologist gets appendicitis. Medische Antropologie 24(1): 195-206.
- Lewis, S. & Russell, A. (2012). Protecting Children and Young People from Tobacco-Related Harm: A Review. Children & Society
- Lewis, S. & Russell, A. (2011). Being Embedded: A way forward for ethnographic research. Ethnography 12(3): 398-416.
- Wainwright, M., Russell, A. & Yiannakou, Y. (2011). Challenging the Biopsychosocial Model in a Chronic Constipation Clinic. Qualitative Health Research 21(12): 1643-1657.
- Naraghi, K., Booth, M., Russell, A.J. & van Laar, J.M. (2011). Determination of smoking status of rheumatoid arthritis patients by means of a self-reported questionnaire and serum cotinine assay: a cross-sectional study. Annals of the Rheumatic Diseases
- Wainwright, M. & Russell, A. (2010). Using NVivo Audio-Coding: Practical, Sensorial and Epistemological Considerations. Social Research Update (60): 1-4.
- Russell, A., Heckler, S., White, M., Sengupta, S., Chappel, D., Hunter, D.J., Mason, J., Milne, E. & Lewis, S. (2009). The evolution of a UK regional tobacco control office in its early years: social contexts and policy dynamics. Health Promotion International 24(3): 262-268.
- Heckler, S. & Russell, A. (2008). Emotional Engagement in Strategic Partnerships: grassroots organising in a tobacco control partnership in the North East of England. Evidence and Policy 4(4): 331-354.
- Russell, A.J. (2007). Anthropology and Ecotourism in European Wetlands; Bubbles, Babies and Bathwater. Tourist Studies 7(2): 225-244.
- Russell, A.J., White, V.A.A. & Landes, D.P. (2006). Young Offenders’ Perceptions and Expectations of Dental Health Services in the North East of England: a Qualitative Study. International Journal of Prisoner Health 2(4): 281-289.
- Wallace, G. & Russell, A. (2004). Eco-Cultural Tourism: as a means for the sustainable development of culturally marginal and environmentally sensitive regions. Tourist Studies 4(3): 235-254.
- Russell, A.J. & Wallace, G. (2004). Irresponsible Ecotourism. Anthropology Today 20(3): 1-2.
- Russell, A.J., van Teijlingen, E., Lambert, H. & Stacy, R. (2004). Social and Behavioural Science Education in UK Medical Schools: Current Practice and Future Directions. Medical Education 38(4): 409-417.
- Russell, A.J. (2004). Traditions in transition: Sanskritization and Yakkhafication in East Nepal. History and Anthropology 15(3): 251-261.
- Hungin, A.P.S., Chinn, D.J., Convery, B., Dean, C., Cornford, C.S. & Russell, A.J. (2003). The prescribing and follow-up of domiciliary oxygen – whose responsibility? A survey of prescribing from primary care. British Journal of General Practice 53(494): 714-5.
- Montag, D., Panter-Brick, C. & Russell, A.J. (2002). Anthropology and the Health of Populations - global trends and local contexts. British Journal of General Practice 52(481): 691-691.
- Russell, A.J. (2000). The Missing and the Met: Routing Clifford amongst the Yakha in Nepal and NE India. Journeys 1: 86-113.
- Russell, A.J., Dougall, A., Rubin, G. & Ling, J. (1999). Rethinking Patient Satisfaction: Patient Experiences of an Open Access Flexible Sigmoidoscopy Service. Social Science and Medicine 50(1): 53-62.
- White, V.A.A., Russell, A.J. & Landes, D.P. (2005). Dental Services in Deerbolt Young Offenders Institution: a report on the perceptions and expectations that Young Offenders have of the dental services provided in the community and in Deerbolt Young Offenders Institution. County Durham and Tees Valley Public Health Network.
- Bell, S. et al (2005). Integrated Management of European Wetlands. Brussels, European Union.