Dr Muhammad Aurang Zeb Mughal, MSc, PhD
Aurang Zeb is a social anthropologist with interests in the cultural perception of time and space, international development, globalisation, rural social organisation, and Pakistan. He has widely published on these topics. He has worked at the World Bank and Pakistan Poverty Alleviation Fund on socioeconomic development. In 2009, Durham University awarded him the prestigious Durham Doctoral Fellowship. He received PhD in 2014 and the Pro-Vice Chancellor of the Faculty of the Social Sciences, Durham University awarded him the Outstanding Performance Award. His doctoral research focused on the social organisation of time and space in relation to social change in rural Pakistan. He is member of the editorial board of several journals and has served as Associate Editor for the Berkshire Encyclopedia of Sustainability. He has organised various international events including a panel on social change in South Asia at the World Congress of Anthropology 2013, held in Manchester. He also chaired the organising committee of the Royal Anthropological Institute’s first ever Annual Postgraduate Conference in 2011.
Selected Awards and Funding
- Durham Doctoral Fellowship: Durham University (2009-2011)
- The Pro-Vice Chancellor’s Outstanding Performance Award: Durham University (2011)
- Radcliffe-Brown and Firth Trust Funds for Social Anthropological Research (Sutasoma Award): Royal Anthropological Institute (RAI), UK (2011)
- Editorial Bursary: Durham Anthropology Journal (2012-2013)
- Doctoral Bursary: The Charles Wallace Pakistan Trust, UK (2011)
- Best Study Design (Poster): Annual Anthropology Postgraduate Conference, Durham University (2011)
- Grant for Panel at the IUAES World Congress 2013: Association of Association of Social Anthropologists of the UK and Commonwealth (ASA)
- Co-organizer, Interventions, Occupations and Insurgencies (IOI) Conference, 19–20 September 2013. Durham Global Security Institute (DGSI), Durham University
- Panel Convener, Development, Socio-cultural and Political Change in South Asia. 17th World Congress of the International Union of Anthropological and Ethnological Sciences (IUAES), 05–10 August 2013. University of Manchester, UK
- Co-organizer, The Pakistan Workshop: Nation, Region and Province, 10–12 May 2013. Lake District, UK
- Chair of the Organizing Committee, Royal Anthropological Institute’s First Annual Postgraduate Conference, 20 September 2011. Durham University
- Advisor, This Good Earth: A Short History of Human Impact on the Natural World. 2014. Berkshire Publishing, Great Barrington, USA
- Associate Editor, Berkshire Encyclopedia of Sustainability, Vols. 7-9, 2012. Berkshire Publishing, Great Barrington, USA
- Editorial and Review Board Member, Journal of Rural Community Psychology
- Editorial Board Member, Recreation and Society in Africa, Asia and Latin America
Department of Anthropology
Durham Global Security Institute
- Contextualising Conflict
- The Social Organisation of Time and Space
- Languages, Politics, and History of Pakistan and South Asia
- Climate Change and Environmental Sustainability
- Poverty Alleviation, Urbanisation and Globalisation
- Temporalities, Spaces and Economies of Sports
- South Asian Languages: Saraiki, Urdu, Punjabi, Sindhi, Persian and Sanskrit
- Mughal, Muhammad Aurang Zeb. (2015). Book Review: Islamic Civilization in South Asia: A History of Muslim Power and Presence in the Indian Subcontinent, written by Burjor Avari. Numen: International Review for the History of Religions 62(2-3): 379-382.
- Mughal, Muhammad Aurang Zeb. (2010). Book Review: The Working Landscape: Founding, Preservation, and the Politics of Place by Peter F. Cannavò. Cambridge, MA: The MIT Press, 2007. Political Studies Review 8(3): 408.
- Mughal, Muhammad Aurang Zeb. (2010). Reviews of Books/Comptes Rendus: Extraordinary Anthropology: Transformations in the Field, Jean-Guy A. Goulet and Bruce Granville Miller, Lincoln, NE: University of Nebraska Press, 2007. Studies in Religion/Sciences Religieuses 39(2): 310-311.
- Mughal, Muhammad Aurang Zeb. (2012), Temporal rhythm of change in Village Jhokwala, Pakistan: Ethnographic insights from calendars, in Giovanni Bennardo eds, Institute for the Study of the Environment, Sustainability, and Energy, Northern Illinois University, DeKalb, IL., ESE Working Paper No. 1, pp. 61-65.
Edited works: journals
- Mughal, Muhammad Aurang Zeb (ed.). (2014). Special Issue: The Play of Time in Sports. Recreation and Society in Africa, Asia & Latin America, 5 (1): University of Guelph, Canada.
- Mughal, Muhammad Aurang Zeb (ed.). (2012). Special Edition: RAI's First Annual Postgraduate Conference 2011. Durham Anthropology Journal, 18 (2): University of Durham.
Essays in edited volumes
- Mughal, Muhammad Aurang Zeb. (2013). Bloch, Maurice. In Theory in Social and Cultural Anthropology: An Encyclopedia. McGee, Reece Jon & Warms, Richard L. Thousand Oaks, Calif.: SAGE. 1: 77-80.
- Mughal, Muhammad Aurang Zeb. (2013). Persian Gulf desert and semi-desert. In Biomes and ecosystems. Howarth, Robert Warren Ipswich, Mass.: Salem. 3: 1000-1002.
- Mughal, Muhammad Aurang Zeb. (2012). Brazil. In Native Peoples of the World: An Encyclopedia of Groups, Cultures, and Contemporary Issues. Steven L. Danver (ed.). London & New York: Routledge. 3: 579-581.
- Weiss, Anita M. & Mughal, Muhammad Aurang Zeb. (2012). Pakistan. In Berkshire encyclopedia of sustainability. Kotzé, Louis & Morse, Stephen Great Barrington, Mass.: Berkshire. 9 (Afro-Eurasia: Assessing Sustainability): 236-240.
- Mughal, Muhammad Aurang Zeb. (2011). Harappan seals. In World history encyclopedia. McGeough, Kevin Murray Santa Barbara, Calif.: ABC-CLIO. 4: 706-707.
- Mughal, Muhammad Aurang Zeb. (2009). Time, absolute. In Encyclopedia of time science, philosophy, theology, and culture. Birx, H. James Thousand Oaks, Calif.: Sage. 3: 1254-1255.
Journal papers: academic
- Mughal, Muhammad Aurang Zeb (2014). Calendars Tell History: Social Rhythm and Social Change in Rural Pakistan. History and Anthropology 25(5): 592-613.
- Mughal, Muhammad Aurang Zeb. (2014). The Play of Time in Sports. Recreation and Society in Africa, Asia and Latin America 5(1): 1-4.
- Mughal, Muhammad Aurang Zeb. (2013). Nation, Province and Region. Anthropology Today 29(4): 27-28.
- Mughal, Muhammad Aurang Zeb. (2012). Guest Editorial: RAI's First Annual Postgraduate Conference, September 20, 2011, Department of Anthropology, Durham University. Durham Anthropology Journal 18(2): 7-11.
- Handley, Carla S., McClure, Erika & Mughal, Muhammad Aurang Zeb. (2012). RAI’s First Annual Postgraduate Conference. Anthropology Today 28(3): 28-29.
- Mughal, Muhammad Aurang Zeb. (2011). Margins and Marginality: Pakistani State and Societies. Anthropology Today 27(2): 28-29.
- Mughal, Muhammad Aurang Zeb. (2008). It will take time for time to change a temporal documentary of change in Sarwar Aali. Omertaa journal for applied anthropology 342-349.
- Mughal, Muhammad Aurang Zeb. (2014). Time, Space and Social Change in Rural Pakistan: An Ethnographic Study of Jhokwala Village, Lodhran District. Department of Anthropology. University of Durham. PhD.
Available for media contact about:
- Asia (excluding Middle East):
- Landscape & buildings:
- Weather & climate:
- General issues:
- Human impact:
- International development:
- Social sciences:
- Middle eastern and Islamic studies: