Department of Anthropology
- Read more about the history of the Department! (last modified: 14 February 2017)
Anthropology News and Events
New opportunities for MSc Energy and Resilience students
A new EU Erasmus+ project will bring an opportunity for four Masters students to join students and energy academics from Slovenia, the Netherlands and the Czech Republic (Czechia) to work on people-centred development. For more information please visit www.dur.ac.uk/dei/peoplefunding/
Powering the Planet
The fifth edition of the annual symposium Why the World Needs Anthropologists explores how energy professionals and anthropologists can cooperate to design and deploy energy innovations that alter the world for the better. This year it is being held at Durham University. Click here to find out more!
Wednesday 24 May 2017
Contact email@example.com for more information about this event.
While we are fully aware of the fact that a graphic pattern and number based code can store and transmit complex information much more efficiently than referential modes of representation, the analysis of pattern systems and the difference they make to culture and society has not significantly advanced beyond a general classification based on motion centred geometries of symmetry. This paper examines an intriguing example from the maritime world of Oceania where complex information is lodged as observable quantity and transmitted across vast distances in time and space via patterns whose underpinning metric and mathematical logic is understood qualitatively, with consequences for culture and society.
Contact firstname.lastname@example.org for more information about this event.
Expanding Your World: Interdisciplinary teaching and research with a global reach
- ''Why the World Needs Anthropologists'' is coming to Durham! See more at https://t.co/rKh1yzLOuU
Tweeted 5 days ago
- Remember it's UG dissertation deadline today! Please submit at the admin office before 4pm. Congrats to those who've already submitted! :)
Tweeted 3 weeks ago
- RT @AnthroHealthDU: After excursus Sillitoe ends: Durham #Anthropology celebrates this year its 50/70 anniversary... or more?…
Tweeted on Fri, 21 Apr 2017 13:26:28 +0100
- RT @RoyalAnthro: Keynote: Dr Steve Lyon - 'Conflict, Security and Truth: anthropological research in the eyes of storms' @AnthDurham1 https…
Tweeted on Thu, 20 Apr 2017 18:44:12 +0100
- RT @durham_uni: Research by @_sam_williams_ @AnthDurham1 hopes to inform #conservation of #leopards in #SouthAfrica…
Tweeted on Wed, 19 Apr 2017 10:50:57 +0100
- RT @dionnehamil: Great to see fairy tale research by @JJTehrani @AnthDurham1 in Discover Magazine - more info from…
Tweeted on Tue, 11 Apr 2017 18:57:08 +0100
- RT @durhamIO: Registration is now open for summer #language courses. For more details and to register, please visit: https://t.co/8aSypeL8b…
Tweeted on Sat, 08 Apr 2017 23:04:43 +0100
- RT @durhamIO: Are you an #international #student? Wondering what @durham_uni has to offer? Read 8 reasons to #study @durham_uni!…
Tweeted on Sat, 08 Apr 2017 23:04:18 +0100
- RT @shah_rachel: Honoured & humbled by this award & by opportunity to attend session in honour of Gil Kushner - with his family.…
Tweeted on Sun, 02 Apr 2017 19:57:39 +0100
- RT @howbrainsevolve: Durham Evolutionary Anthro postgrad alumnus Louise de Raad saving red squirrels, on BBC1 Countryfile https://t.co/pyTE…
Tweeted on Sun, 02 Apr 2017 19:57:10 +0100
Durham, DH1 3LE
Tel: +44 (0) 191 334 1612
Fax: +44 (0) 191 334 1615
Explore the frontiers of knowledge
Create your own personalised prospectus now!