- Read more about the history of the Department! (last modified: 14 February 2017)
Anthropology News and Events
Research in the Anthropology Sleep Lab that helps parents and babies sleep better gets Royal approval
“Our Lives with Electric Things”: Durham anthropologists publish a new collection of writing to extend the energy humanities.
Inspired by a Wenner-Gren funded workshop held at Durham in 2016, this new collection has been published in the Cultural Anthropology journal series ‘Theorizing the Contemporary’. The full collection includes 51 contributions, whose authors reflect on our lives with electric things, using electric artefacts to generate novel ethnographic insights.
Editor Professor Simone Abram says, ‘This collection is an inspiration for anthropologists and others to rethink how we live with electricity and reconsider the possibilities and limits of life with electric things’. With three co-editors from Edinburgh and Copenhagen, the collection covers electric fictions, backups, infrastructures, electric sustenance, electric air and more, making up 17 themes.
‘We are excited to bring together anthropologists from around the world to think about such pressing issues and invite readers to enjoy the collection and the inspiration it offers’ adds Prof Abram.
The collection can be read at:
What an achievement!
The Durham Centre for Medical Humanities wins new Wellcome Trust Discretionary Award! Click here to read more!
Why the World Needs Anthropologists: Powering the Planet Oct 28-29 2017
A hundred and forty two people from twenty countries attended this two day symposium at Durham. It was the fifth such symposium to be organised on behalf of the Energy Network of the European Association of Social Anthropologists Participants were drawn from a range of academic disciplines engaged in energy research as well as representatives from industry and third sector organisations. The Saturday programme for the first day of speakers and discussion panel is now available online (see below). The first day also featured twelve organisations with stands and publicity materials. These included two anthropology consultancies from Scandinavia; the EASA Energy Ethics Network; Low Carbon Energy for Development; Mygrid; Energethics and Access for Women in Energy. Sunday featured five well attended workshops located across the Durham campus, covering energy and development, corporate responsibility, local history and careers for anthropologists beyond the academy.
Thanks to all those at Durham who helped make the event such a success and to our several sponsors see http://www.applied-anthropology.com/organisers/
The Primate and Predator Project
Read all about Professor Russell Hill's work on pages 6-7 in the Dialogue
Anthropology and DEI project chosen as exemplar to spotlight 30 years of Erasmus funding
Evolutionary Anthropology Seminars: "‘Seeing red’: A closer look at colour effects in psychology
Contact email@example.com for more information
Expanding Your World: Interdisciplinary teaching and research with a global reach
Tweeted on Thu, 26 Oct 2017 21:26:00 +0100
- Between Worlds: Public lectures by Dr. Jamie Tehrani & Dr. Victoria Flood, 2 Nov @ Palace Green. Tickets on sale! https://t.co/UJzUXQ20vm
Tweeted on Thu, 26 Oct 2017 21:25:12 +0100
- RT @durham_uni: New research from @AnthDurham1 published in @RSocPublishing looks at why some primates evolved to have bigger brain…
Tweeted on Wed, 18 Oct 2017 21:40:16 +0100
- RT @NakaMookherjee: Spectral Wound shortlist to be honoured atAssociation of Feminist Anthropologists (AFA) awards, American Anthropologica…
Tweeted on Mon, 25 Sep 2017 11:11:15 +0100
- RT @durham_uni: Pleased to see Durham ranked 5th in the UK @thetimes & @thesundaytimes Good University Guide –…
Tweeted on Sun, 24 Sep 2017 11:37:31 +0100
- RT @stelynews: Congratulations to @durham_uni's Centre for #Medical #Humanities! @AnthDurham1 @AnthroHealthDU https://t.co/NHJDUMYpoj
Tweeted on Sun, 24 Sep 2017 11:36:30 +0100
- Anthro stash has arrived! Get yours now and represent! ???? https://t.co/0QTzVJIwAq
Tweeted on Fri, 08 Sep 2017 12:53:16 +0100
- Registration for the annual 'Why the World Needs Anthropologists' symposium opens tomorrow (1 Sept). It's FREE! See https://t.co/wsJoQyHcHp
Tweeted on Thu, 31 Aug 2017 15:41:21 +0100
- Crime scene simulation ready for @AnthDurham1 Sutton Trust summer school. Was it Dr Buck in the library with the le… https://t.co/jJZOvt6lEI
Tweeted on Thu, 24 Aug 2017 16:48:56 +0100
- Postgraduates joining us in Oct0ber 2017 can now plan their schedule (provisionally) - https://t.co/ZJ5I10Hmg4
Tweeted on Tue, 22 Aug 2017 11:25:13 +0100
Durham, DH1 3LE
Tel: +44 (0) 191 334 1612
Fax: +44 (0) 191 334 1615
Create your own personalised prospectus now!