World university rankings
Durham is one of the world’s leading universities, as shown by our world top 100 position in the QS World University Rankings 2022, where we are ranked 92nd.
19 Durham subjects are ranked in the world top 100 in the QS World University Rankings by Subject 2022, including 12 in the world top 50. Two of our subjects are in the world top ten – Theology and Religion (seventh) and Archaeology (eighth).
Excellence in teaching and research
Nationally, we’re consistently a top ten UK university. We’re ranked sixth in the Guardian University Guide 2023, sixth in the Complete University Guide 2023 and sixth in The Times and Sunday Times Good University Guide 2023.
The rankings signal our excellence in teaching and research, combined with our all-round student experience. This makes our graduates highly sought after by employers around the world.
Our research ranges from the intimate to the infinite.
Our astronomers recently discovered a new kind of stellar explosion, our geographers are leading in understanding climate change, our Business School is consistently ranked among the best in Europe and the world and we are a principal partner in County Durham’s bid to be named UK City of Culture 2025.
Find out more:
- Learn more about the QS World University Rankings 2022
- See which Durham subjects are in the world top 100 of the QS World University Rankings by Subject 2022
- We're in the top 20 for Arts and Humanities in The Times Higher Education World University Rankings by Subject 2021
- We've been named as a top 30 international university
- Find out more about the Times Higher Education Global Impact Rankings 2021
- Discover more about the Guardian University Guide 2022
- Find out more about our world-leading research