World university rankings
Durham is one of the world’s leading Universities as shown by our World Top 100 position in the QS World University Rankings 2019, where we are ranked 74th.
A record 18 Durham subjects are also in the World Top 100 of the QS World University Rankings by Subject 2019, including 10 in the World Top 50.
Three of our subjects are in the World Top 10 - Theology and Religion (fifth), Archaeology (sixth) and Geography (ninth).
Excellence in teaching and research
In addition, Arts and Humanities, Social Sciences and Law are all in the top 50 in the 2019 Times Higher Education (THE) World University Rankings by Subject.
Nationally, we’re consistently a top 10 UK university. We are ranked fifth in the Guardian University Guide 2020, sixth in The Complete University Guide 2020 and seventh in the Times and Sunday Times Good University Guide 2019.
The rankings signal our excellence in teaching and research, combined with our all-round student experience. This makes our graduates highly sought after by employers around the world.
A distinctive university
Professor Stuart Corbridge, Vice-Chancellor and Warden, Durham University, said:
"Durham is one of the world’s great universities and one of the most distinctive. We aim to inspire our students and staff to achieve extraordinary things and I am delighted that this is recognised by our continued high standing in global and national league tables."
Find out more
- Learn more about the QS World University Rankings 2019
- See which Durham subjects are in the world top 100 of the QS World University Rankings by Subject 2019.
- Arts & Humanities is a world top 30 subject in the THE World University Rankings by Subject.
- Social Sciences and Law are world top 50 subjects in the THE World University Rankings by Subject.
- Discover more about the Guardian University Guide 2020 and The Complete University Guide 2020.