Trevelyan College Trust
The Trust was formed in 1991 and is registered with the Charity Commission ( reg no 1007179). It has the following aims:
The advancement and benefit of Trevelyan College and the students and academic staff thereof and for such other charitable purposes as are connected with and acceptable to the College in such manner as the managing trustees may in their absolute discretion determine
The trustees are College Officers and representatives of the Trevelyan Society. Recently, Caron Pearson, an alumna living locally, was appointed Honorary Director of the Trevelyan Trust to support its development.
Currently, the Trust is now seeking to generate significant funding for expenditure needs specifically identified in our Ten Year Vision, particularly in relation to:
- A new postgraduate block in College
- Improvements to music and drama performance and rehearsal facilities
- Sports equipment, including new boats for the college Boat Club
- Scholarships and support for scholarly travel and musical activity
- Improvements to the College, the entrance and Barn in particular
In addition the Trust:
- awards travel and academic grants and bursaries to undergraduate and post graduate students totalling over £5,000 per year. We would love to offer more of this kind of support to students.
- manages small grant made to North East students for the purchase of books. This is from the interest on a sum given by the James Knott Trust. 5 Trevelyan students benefit from this fund each year. We would very much like to be able to extend this scheme.
- makes awards to students who are experiencing unforeseen hardship.
- makes an annual appeal to the parents of graduating students to donate a book, acknowledged by a bookplate, to the College Library as a tangible reminder of their time at Trevelyan.
- sells copies of a book, Trevs: A Celebration of 40 Years of Trevelyan College Durham, written by Susan Martin, wife of former Principal, Nigel Martin. It costs £7.50 including P&P and all profits go to the Trust. Email Trevelyan Trust to order a copy.
The College is always keen to hear from any potential benefactors. Donations can be made by contacting the Trust via email or by telephoning the Alumni Office (tel: 0191 3347016). Alternatively, you can donate securely online at www.dunelm.org.uk/trevelyan. Also, feel free to get in contact if you would like any more information about donating to college or any other ways alumni can be of assistance.