We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. You can change your cookie settings at any time. Otherwise, we'll assume you're OK to continue.

Durham University


Working in the UK


Many international students are allowed to work whilst they study in the UK but this is not true for all students. Your visa will specify whether you are able to work.

Once you have completed your studies you can work full-time on your student visa (if it allows you to work) up to a maximum of four months or until your visa expires, whichever is the soonest. It is very important that you follow the conditions attached to your student visa.

You are allowed to work if your student visa or sticker states any of the below:

'Able to work as authorised by The Secretary of State'

'Work (and any changes) must be authorised'

'Work as in Tier 4 Rules'

'Restricted work. P/T termtime. F/T vacations'

'Restricted work termtime'

You are not allowed to work if your student visa or sticker states any of the below:

'No work or engaging in business'

'No work or recourse to public funds'

'Work prohibited'

If your visa permits you to work:

  • You may work for up to 20 hours a week during term-time and full-time during vacations
  • You must not engage in business, self-employment or provide services as a professional sportsperson or entertainer
  • You must not pursue a career by filling a permanent full-time vacancy.


Where can I find out about jobs?

The University's student employment service helps students find part-time, temporary and seasonal work in and around Durham and Stockton.

As well as being financially beneficial, working whilst you are studying can help you develop your skillset and enhance your CV.