|Associate Professor, Statistics in the Department of Mathematical Sciences||MCS3095||+44 (0) 191 33 40855|
Prior to moving to Durham University, Sarah was an Associate Professor at Newcastle University where she was Assistant Co-Director of the EPSRC CDT in Cloud Computing for Big Data and Deputy Degree Programme Director for the MSc in Data Science (with Specialisation in Statistics). She has led work packages on a number of RCUK grants, most notably the £1.5M NERC grant "Flood-PREPARED: Predicting Rainfall Events by Physical Analytics of REaltime Data" and the £358K project funded by the Alan Turing Institute "Streaming data modelling for real-time monitoring and forecasting". Sarah has given invited seminars at research institutions across the world, including Duke, Columbia and Maynooth Universities and the Flatiron Institute in New York. She has a keen interest in probabilistic programming languages and has developed a short-course on the Stan language and software, which she has delivered to a mix of academics and businesses across the UK. Sarah is a Fellow of the Alan Turing Insitute and serves on the editorial board of the new journal ACM Transactions on Probabilistic Machine Learning. She has co-supervised three PhD students to completion, with two more in the final year of their PhD, in addition to five Postdoctoral researchers.
- Bayesian inference
- Time series analysis
- Statistical bioinformatics
- Spatio-temporal modelling
- 0000: Fellow of the Alan Turing Institute: 2021-present
- 0000: Fellow of the Higher Education Academy: 2017-present
- 0000: Royal Statistical Society North Eastern Local Group: Chair (2018-2020), Secretary (2015-2018), Ordinary ;Member (2011-2015)
Chapter in book
- Williams, Tom A. & Heaps, Sarah E. (2014). An Introduction to Phylogenetics and the Tree of Life. In New Approaches to Prokaryotic Systematics. Goodfellow, M., Sutcliffe, I. & Chun, J. Academic Press. 41: 13-44.
- Bernardo, J. M., Bayarri, M. J., Berger, J. O., Dawid, A. P., Heckerman, D., Smith, A. F. M. & West, M. (2011). Discussion of ''Modelling multivariate counts varying continuously in space'' by A. M. Schmidt and M. A. Rodriguez. Bayesian Statistics 9: Proceedings of the Ninth Valencia International Conference on Bayesian Statistics, Benidorm, Spain, Oxford University Press.
- Heaps, Sarah E. (2023). Enforcing Stationarity through the Prior in Vector Autoregressions. Journal of Computational and Graphical Statistics 32(1): 74-83.
- Tyler, Andrew R., Ragbirsingh, Ronnie, McMonagle, Charles J., Waddell, Paul G., Heaps, Sarah E., Steed, Jonathan W., Thaw, Paul, Hall, Michael J. & Probert, Michael R. (2020). Encapsulated Nanodroplet Crystallization of Organic-Soluble Small Molecules. Chem 6(7): 1755-1765.
- Hannaford, Naomi E., Heaps, Sarah E., Nye, Tom M. W., Williams, Tom A. & Embley, T. Martin (2020). Incorporating compositional heterogeneity into Lie Markov models for phylogenetic inference. The Annals of Applied Statistics 14(4): 1964-1983.
- Heaps, Sarah E., Farrow, Malcolm & Wilson, Kevin J. (2020). Identifying the effect of public holidays on daily demand for gas. Journal of the Royal Statistical Society: Series A (Statistics in Society) 183(2): 471-492.
- Heaps, Sarah E, Nye, Tom MW, Boys, Richard J, Williams, Tom A, Cherlin, Svetlana & Embley, T Martin (2020). Generalizing rate heterogeneity across sites in statistical phylogenetics. Statistical Modelling 20(4): 410-436.
- Cherlin, Svetlana, Heaps, Sarah E, Nye, Tom M W, Boys, Richard J, Williams, Tom A & Embley, T Martin (2017). The Effect of Nonreversibility on Inferring Rooted Phylogenies. Molecular Biology and Evolution 35(4): 984-1002.
- Williams, Tom A., Szöllősi, Gergely J., Spang, Anja, Foster, Peter G., Heaps, Sarah E., Boussau, Bastien, Ettema, Thijs J. G. & Embley, T. Martin (2017). Integrative modeling of gene and genome evolution roots the archaeal tree of life. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences 114(23): E4602-E4611.
- Heaps, Sarah E., Boys, Richard J. & Farrow, Malcolm (2015). Bayesian modelling of rainfall data by using non-homogeneous hidden Markov models and latent Gaussian variables. Journal of the Royal Statistical Society: Series C (Applied Statistics) 64(3): 543-568.
- Williams, Tom A., Heaps, Sarah E., Cherlin, Svetlana, Nye, Tom M. W., Boys, Richard J. & Embley, T. Martin (2015). New substitution models for rooting phylogenetic trees. Philosophical Transactions of the Royal Society B: Biological Sciences 370(1678): 20140336.
- Heaps, Sarah E., Boys, Richard J. & Farrow, Malcolm (2014). Computation of marginal likelihoods with data-dependent support for latent variables. Computational Statistics & Data Analysis 71: 392-401.
- Heaps, Sarah E., Nye, Tom M.W., Boys, Richard J., Williams, Tom A. & Embley, T. Martin (2014). Bayesian modelling of compositional heterogeneity in molecular phylogenetics. Statistical Applications in Genetics and Molecular Biology 13(5): 589-609.