|Assistant Professor in the Department of Psychology|
I graduated in Biotechnology (BSc) in 2008 and Neurobiology (MSc) in 2011 at the University of Pavia, in Italy. Before starting my PhD, I worked as Research Assistant in Michael Hausser's Neural Computation lab at UCL (2010-2012). I then carried out my PhD at the University of Oxford with Marco Capogna, studying serotonin and the neural circuits of the amygdala, and their involvement in aversive learning. After the completion of my PhD (2016), I stayed at the University of Oxford for a brief postdoc with Peter Somogyi, studying the neuromodulation of mouse and human neural circuits. In 2017, I started a postdoc in Rosa Cossart's lab at INSERM in Marseille, France. I studied how developmental programs and inhibitory circuits control hippocampal physiology and learning-relevant neural mechanisms. In 2021, I moved back to the UK to carry out a postdoc with Andy Jackson and Abhishek Banerjee at Newcastle University to use closed-loop optical and electrophysiological tools to correct pathological network dynamics. I took up a position of Assistant Professor at Durham University in 2022.
I study the neural mechanisms of learning and memory, with particular focus on neuromodulators such as serotonin, and the neural circuits controlling spatial and aversive learning. I am also interested in the neural mechanisms underlying the action of psychedelics. Please see my group webpage for further information.
- Neural mechanisms of learning and memory
- Neural plasticity
Available for media contact about:
- Memory and brain function:
- Leprince, Erwan, Dard, Robin F., Mortet, Salomé, Filippi, Caroline, Giorgi-Kurz, Marie, Bourboulou, Romain, Lenck-Santini, Pierre-Pascal, Picardo, Michel A., Bocchio, Marco, Baude, Agnès & Cossart, Rosa (2023). Extrinsic control of the early postnatal CA1 hippocampal circuits. Neuron
- Cavalieri, Davide, Angelova, Alexandra, Islah, Anas, Lopez, Catherine, Bocchio, Marco, Bollmann, Yannick, Baude, Agnès & Cossart, Rosa (2021). CA1 pyramidal cell diversity is rooted in the time of neurogenesis. eLife 10.
- Bocchio, Marco, Gouny, Claire, Angulo-Garcia, David, Toulat, Tom, Tressard, Thomas, Quiroli, Eleonora, Baude, Agnès & Cossart, Rosa (2020). Hippocampal hub neurons maintain distinct connectivity throughout their lifetime. Nature Communications 11(1).
- Bocchio, Marco, Lukacs, Istvan P., Stacey, Richard, Plaha, Puneet, Apostolopoulos, Vasileios, Livermore, Laurent, Sen, Arjune, Ansorge, Olaf, Gillies, Martin J., Somogyi, Peter & Capogna, Marco (2019). Group II Metabotropic Glutamate Receptors Mediate Presynaptic Inhibition of Excitatory Transmission in Pyramidal Neurons of the Human Cerebral Cortex. Frontiers in Cellular Neuroscience 12.
- Bocchio, Marco, Nabavi, Sadegh & Capogna, Marco (2017). Synaptic Plasticity, Engrams, and Network Oscillations in Amygdala Circuits for Storage and Retrieval of Emotional Memories. Neuron 94(4): 731.
- Sengupta, Ayesha, Bocchio, Marco, Bannerman, David M., Sharp, Trevor & Capogna, Marco (2017). Control of Amygdala Circuits by 5-HT Neurons via 5-HT and Glutamate Cotransmission. The Journal of Neuroscience 37(7): 1785.
- Bocchio, Marco, Fisher, Simon P., Unal, Gunes, Ellender, Tommas J., Vyazovskiy, Vladyslav V. & Capogna, Marco (2016). Sleep and Serotonin Modulate Paracapsular Nitric Oxide Synthase Expressing Neurons of the Amygdala. eneuro 3(5): ENEURO.0177-16.2016.
- Bocchio, Marco, McHugh, Stephen B., Bannerman, David M., Sharp, Trevor & Capogna, Marco (2016). Serotonin, Amygdala and Fear: Assembling the Puzzle. Frontiers in Neural Circuits 10.
- Bazelot, Michaël, Bocchio, Marco, Kasugai, Yu, Fischer, David, Dodson, Paul D., Ferraguti, Francesco & Capogna, Marco (2015). Hippocampal Theta Input to the Amygdala Shapes Feedforward Inhibition to Gate Heterosynaptic Plasticity. Neuron 87(6): 1290.
- Bocchio, Marco, Fucsina, Giulia, Oikonomidis, Lydia, McHugh, Stephen B, Bannerman, David M, Sharp, Trevor & Capogna, Marco (2015). Increased Serotonin Transporter Expression Reduces Fear and Recruitment of Parvalbumin Interneurons of the Amygdala. Neuropsychopharmacology 40(13): 3015.
- Bocchio, Marco & Capogna, Marco (2014). Oscillatory Substrates of Fear and Safety. Neuron 83(4): 753.