|Professor in the Department of Psychology||RH-1003|
|Fellow of the Wolfson Research Institute for Health and Wellbeing|
I am social/health/personality psychologist interested in the factors that create risk or resilience for health and well-being. I have a particular interest in the how self-regulation (how we manage and direct our thoughts, emotions, and behaviours to reach our goals) can impact health and well-being and the factors and qualities that contour people’s capacities to self-regulate.
I joined Durham University as a Professor in Social and Health Psychology in May 2022, and was previously a Professor at the University of Sheffield. Prior to arriving in the UK in 2015, I was a Canada Research Chair and the Co-ordinator of the multidisciplinary Psychological Health and Well-being Research cluster at Bishop’s University (2010-2015).
I am passionate about communicating the results of psychological science with the public so that research is accessible and impactful beyond academia. To this end, I regularly engage with the public, media, and journalists about research on health and well-being. You can read some of the articles that I have written for The Conversation here.
- Emotion regulation
- Positive psychology, esp. self-compassion and gratitude
- Health behaviours
- Personality and health-related outcomes
- Loneliness and meaningful relationships
- Time perspective and temporal thinking
- Adjustment to chronic health conditions
- Counterfactual thinking
Available for media contact about:
- Psychology: Health and well-being
- Psychology: Causes & consequences of procrastination
- Psychology: Perfectionism
- Psychology: Adjustment to chronic health conditions
- Psychology: Stress and coping
- Psychology: Gratitude
- Psychology: Self-compassion
- Psychology: Time perspective
- Health & Welfare: Health behaviours
- Psychology: Loneliness
- Sirois, Fuschia M. & Molnar, Danielle M. (2016). Perfectionism, Health, and Well-Being. Springer.
- Sirois, Fuschia M. & Pychyl, Timothy A. (2016). Procrastination, Health, and Well-Being.
- Sirois, Fuschia M., Stride, Christopher B. & Pychyl, Timothy A. (2023). Procrastination and health: A longitudinal test of the roles of stress and health behaviours. British Journal of Health Psychology
- Danson, Sarah, Sirois, Fuschia, Fradley, Kathryn, Wadsley, Jonathan, Ray, Jaydip, Bishop, Rhian, Horsman, Janet, Mann, Colette, Chantry-Groves, Loretta, Young, Matthew & Bentall, Richard (2023). Mental health burden for NHS healthcare staff during the COVID-19 pandemic: First results of a longitudinal survey. Heliyon 9(3): e13765.
- Beaton, Danielle M., Sirois, Fuschia & Milne, Elizabeth (2022). The role of self‐compassion in the mental health of adults with ADHD. Journal of Clinical Psychology
- Beaton, Danielle M., Sirois, Fuschia & Milne, Elizabeth (2022). Experiences of criticism in adults with ADHD: A qualitative study. PLOS ONE 17(2): e0263366.
- Biskas, Marios, Sirois, Fuschia M. & Webb, Thomas L. (2022). Using social cognition models to understand why people, such as perfectionists, struggle to respond with self‐compassion. British Journal of Social Psychology
- Chen, Zhiyi, Feng, Pan, Becker, Benjamin, Xu, Ting, Nassar, Matthew R., Sirois, Fuschia, Hommel, Bernhard, Zhang, Chenyan, He, Qinghua, Qiu, Jiang, He, Li, Lei, Xu, Chen, Hong & Feng, Tingyong (2021). Neural connectome prospectively encodes the risk of post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD) symptom during the COVID-19 pandemic. Neurobiology of Stress 15: 100378.
- Sirois, Fuschia M. (2021). Trait procrastination undermines outcome and efficacy expectancies for achieving health-related possible selves. Current Psychology 40(8): 3840.
- Sirois, Fuschia M., Toussaint, Loren, Hirsch, Jameson K., Kohls, Niko & Offenbächer, Martin (2021). A person-centred test of multidimensional perfectionism and health in people with chronic fatigue syndrome versus healthy controls. Personality and Individual Differences 181: 111036.
- Xu, Ting, Chen, Zhiyi, Sirois, Fuschia M., Zhang, Rong, Yang, Yaqi & Feng, Tingyong (2021). Neuroanatomical substrates accounting for the effect of present hedonistic time perspective on risk preference: the mediating role of right posterior parietal cortex. Brain Imaging and Behavior 15(1): 244.
- Sirois, Fuschia M. & Owens, Janine (2021). A meta-analysis of loneliness and use of primary health care. Health Psychology Review 1.
- Xu, Ting, Sirois, Fuschia M., Zhang, Libin, Yu, Zeyuan & Feng, Tingyong (2021). Neural basis responsible for self-control association with procrastination: Right MFC and bilateral OFC functional connectivity with left dlPFC. Journal of Research in Personality 91: 104064.
- Stevenson, Jodie C., Millings, Abigail, Emerson, Lisa-Marie, Sirois, Fuschia & Rowe, Angela C. (2021). Adult attachment and Mindfulness: Examining directionality, causality, and theoretical implications. Journal of Research in Personality 90: 104043.
- Baird, Harriet M., Webb, Thomas L., Sirois, Fuschia M. & Gibson-Miller, Jilly (2021). Understanding the effects of time perspective: A meta-analysis testing a self-regulatory framework. Psychological Bulletin 147(3): 233.
- Trindade, Inês A. & Sirois, Fuschia M. (2021). The prospective effects of self-compassion on depressive symptoms, anxiety, and stress: A study in inflammatory bowel disease. Journal of Psychosomatic Research 146: 110429.
- Sirois, Fuschia M. & Owens, Janine (2021). Factors Associated With Psychological Distress in Health-Care Workers During an Infectious Disease Outbreak: A Rapid Systematic Review of the Evidence. Frontiers in Psychiatry 11.
- Beaton, Danielle M., Sirois, Fuschia & Milne, Elizabeth (2020). Self-compassion and Perceived Criticism in Adults with Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD). Mindfulness 11(11): 2506.
- Lilley, Catherine, Sirois, Fuschia & Rowse, Georgina (2020). A meta-analysis of parental multidimensional perfectionism and child psychological outcomes. Personality and Individual Differences 162: 110015.
- Sirois, Fuschia M. (2020). The association between self-compassion and self-rated health in 26 samples. BMC Public Health 20(1).
- Millings, Abigail, Hirst, Shannon L., Sirois, Fuschia & Houlston, Catherine (2020). Emotional adaptation to relationship dissolution in parents and non-parents: A new conceptual model and measure. PLOS ONE 15(10): e0239712.
- Molnar, Danielle S., Janssen, William F. & Sirois, Fuschia M. (2020). Sleeping perfectly? Trait perfectionism, perceived stress, and sleep quality. Personality and Individual Differences 167: 110244.
- Neff, Kristin D., Tóth-Király, István, Yarnell, Lisa M., Arimitsu, Kohki, Castilho, Paula, Ghorbani, Nima, Guo, Hailan Xiaoxia, Hirsch, Jameson K., Hupfeld, Jörg, Hutz, Claudio S., Kotsou, Ilios, Lee, Woo Kyeong, Montero-Marin, Jesus, Sirois, Fuschia M., de Souza, Luciana K., Svendsen, Julie L., Wilkinson, Ross B. & Mantzios, Michail (2019). Examining the factor structure of the Self-Compassion Scale in 20 diverse samples: Support for use of a total score and six subscale scores. Psychological Assessment 31(1): 27.
- Sirois, Fuschia M., Yang, Sisi & van Eerde, Wendelien (2019). Development and validation of the General Procrastination Scale (GPS-9): A short and reliable measure of trait procrastination. Personality and Individual Differences 146: 26.
- Sirois, Fuschia M., Bögels, Susan & Emerson, Lisa-Marie (2019). Self-compassion Improves Parental Well-being in Response to Challenging Parenting Events. The Journal of Psychology 153(3): 327.
- Sirois, Fuschia M. & Giguère, Benjamin (2018). Giving in when feeling less good: Procrastination, action control, and social temptations. British Journal of Social Psychology 57(2): 404.
- Baird, Harriet M, Webb, Thomas L, Martin, Jilly & Sirois, Fuschia M (2018). The Relationship Between a Balanced Time Perspective and Self-monitoring of Blood Glucose Among People With Type 1 Diabetes. Annals of Behavioral Medicine 53(2): 196.
- Sirois, Fuschia M. & Iyer, Aarti (2018). “At least David Cameron resigned” The protective effects of just-world beliefs for counterfactual thinking after Brexit. Personality and Individual Differences 121: 25.