|Assistant Professor in the Department of Classics and Ancient History|
As an Education-track Assistant Professor in the Department of Classics & Ancient History, I teach classical Greek and Latin language and literature, as well as the history of writing. My specialist research area is the Linear B writing system, used to write administrative documents in prehistoric Greece (c.1400-1200 BCE); I am also interested in pedagogical scholarship, particularly on the teaching of classical languages, and educational uses of Wikipedia.
Before starting at Durham in September 2022, I completed my PhD in Classics at the University of Cambridge in 2016, and subsequently held a Research Fellowship in Classics at Gonville & Caius College, Cambridge (2016-2020), and a Marie Skłodowska-Curie Individual Fellowship at the British School at Athens (2020-2022).
School talks and outreach
I am happy to give talks on topics related to the history of writing in the ancient Mediterranean and Near East: previous topics include writing in Roman Britain and the decipherment of Linear B. I can also lead activities in which students make and write their own Linear B tablets, and have produced a video and worksheet about making tablets (in English and Greek) to use in school or at home.
My office hours for students and mentees are:
Tuesdays 2-3pm (drop-in)
Fridays 2-3pm (sign up in advance for in-person or Zoom: Anna Judson's office hours)
My office is Room 102, 1 Dun Cow Lane.
- The Linear B writing system
- Mycenaean Greek
- Aegean & Cypriot writing systems
- Greek historical linguistics
- Classical pedagogy
- Judson, A. P. (2020). The Undeciphered Signs of Linear B. Cambridge University Press. https://doi.org/10.1017/9781108859745
Chapter in book
- Judson, A. P. (2017). Processes of script adaptation and creation in Linear B: the evidence of the "extra" signs. In P. M. Steele (Ed.), Understanding Relations Between Scripts: the Aegean Writing Systems (111-126). Oxbow Books
- Judson, A. P. (2017). Palaeography, administration, and scribal training: a case-study. In H. Landenius Enegren, & M. Nosch (Eds.), Aegean Scripts. Proceedings of the 14th International Colloquium on Mycenaean Studies, Copenhagen, 2-5 September 2015 (193-208). CNR-ISMA
- Judson, A. P. (2017). The decipherment: people, process, challenges. In A. Christophilopoulou, Y. Galanakis, & J. Grime (Eds.), Codebreakers & Groundbreakers (15-29). Fitzwilliam Museum, Cambridge
- Judson, A. P. (2023). THE TABLET-MAKERS OF PYLOS: AN EXPERIMENTAL INVESTIGATION INTO THE PRODUCTION OF LINEAR B TABLETS. Annual of the British School at Athens, https://doi.org/10.1017/s0068245423000059
- Judson, A., Shields, K., & Leonard, V. (2023). Wikipedia in Classics Education. Bulletin of the Council of University Classics Departments, 52,
- Judson, A. P. (2022). LEARNING TO SPELL IN LINEAR B: ORTHOGRAPHY AND SCRIBAL TRAINING IN MYCENAEAN PYLOS. The Cambridge Classical Journal, 68, 133-163. https://doi.org/10.1017/s1750270522000057
- Gnanadesikan, A. E., & Judson, A. P. (2022). Diversity in writing systems. Written Language & Literacy, 24(2), https://doi.org/10.1075/wll.00051.int
- Judson, A. P. (2020). Scribes as Editors: Tracking Changes in the Linear B Documents. American Journal of Archaeology, 124(4), 523-549. https://doi.org/10.3764/aja.124.4.0523
- Judson, A. P. (2020). Orthographic variation as evidence for the development of the Linear B writing system. Written Language & Literacy, 22(2), 179-197. https://doi.org/10.1075/wll.00025.jud
- Judson, A. P., Bennet, J., Davis, J. L., & Stocker, S. R. (2019). Two new Linear B tablets and an enigmatic find from Bronze Age Pylos (Palace of Nestor). Kadmos: Zeitschrift für vor- und frühgriechische Epigraphik, 58(1-2), 111-123. https://doi.org/10.1515/kadmos-2019-0006
- Judson, A. P. (2017). The mystery of the Mycenaean “labyrinth”: the value of Linear B pu2 and related signs
- Judson, A. P. (2013). The Linear B Inscribed Stirrup Jars. Kadmos: Zeitschrift für vor- und frühgriechische Epigraphik, 52(1), 69-110. https://doi.org/10.1515/kadmos-2013-0005
Other (Digital/Visual Media)