Sociology Department Staff
Publication details for Professor Vikki BoliverBoliver, V., Gorard, S. & Siddiqui, N. (2017). How can we widen participation in higher education? The promise of contextualised admissions. In The University as a Critical Institution?. Deem, R. & Eggins, H. Rotterdam: Sense Publishers. 95-110.
- Publication type: Chapter in book
- ISSN/ISBN: 9789463511148 (paperback), 9789463511155 (hardback), 9789463511162 (ebook)
- DOI: 10.1007/978-94-6351-116-2_6
- Further publication details on publisher web site
- Durham Research Online (DRO) - may include full text
Author(s) from Durham
Widening participation in higher education has been on the UK policy agenda for more than fifty years. Yet, despite some progress across the UK higher education sector overall (DfE, 2016), students from less socioeconomically advantaged backgrounds remain severely under-represented among entrants to the UK’s most academically selective universities.