Sociology Department Staff
Publication details for Professor Nicole WestmarlandHester, M., Westmarland, N. , Pearce, J. & Williamson, E. (2008). Early Evaluation of the Domestic Violence, Crime and Victims Act 2004. London, Home Office.
- Publication type: Report
- ISSN/ISBN: 9781840992083
- Further publication details on publisher web site
- Durham Research Online (DRO) - may include full text
Author(s) from Durham
This study was commissioned to provide an early evaluation of some of the measures of the Domestic Violence, Crime and Victims (DVCV) Act 2004. It aimed to:
• establish baseline data against which to evaluate the implementation of the new measures;
• provide an early snapshot (to December 2007) of progress towards implementation;
• identify emerging issues and offer recommendations for policy and (good) practice in relation to implementing the measures, and in relation to improvements that can be made to current data collection.
The report focuses on the three measures of the Act that were implemented during the evaluation period, i.e. making common assault an arrestable offence;1 making it an
arrestable, criminal offence to breach a non-molestation order; and extending the civil law on domestic violence (to ensure cohabiting same-sex couples have the same access to non- molestation and occupation orders as opposite sex couples, and non-molestation orders are
available to couples who have never cohabited).