Sociology Department Staff
Publication details for Max MorrisMorris, M., McCormack, M. & Anderson, E. (2014). The changing experiences of bisexual male adolescents. Gender and Education 26(4): 297-413.
- Publication type: Journal Article
- ISSN/ISBN: 0954-0253, 1360-0516
- DOI: 10.1080/09540253.2014.927834
- Keywords: Biphobia, Bisexuality, Coming out, Homophobia, Inclusion, Sixth form.
- Further publication details on publisher web site
- Durham Research Online (DRO) - may include full text
- View in another repository - may include full text
Author(s) from Durham
Drawing on in-depth interviews with 15 openly bisexual male youth from sixth forms across the UK, this article documents positive experiences of bisexual male youth in school: participants had positive coming out experiences and did not encounter significant discrimination or harassment because of their sexual identity. Participants attribute this to the inclusive environments of their schools and local cultures. Examining the narratives of two participants who had negative experiences, this article also highlights continued issues for bisexual youth in schools. It thus advances our understanding of contemporary bisexual lives in educational institutions, and contributes to debates about whether sixth forms are more inclusive spaces than secondary schools for bisexuals.