Sociology Department Staff
Dr Queralt Capsada-Munsech
Queralt Capsada-Munsech is as a Research Associate at the Department of Sociology at Durham University. She joined Durham University in October 2018 and she is currently involved in the NORFACE funded LIFETRACK research project, which focuses on the long term consequences that sorting processes in secondary education have for social inequality in later stages of the educational and employment career. This fits very well with Queralt’s main research interests, which are educational inequalities, social stratification and youth transitions from education to the labour market.
Previous to joining Durham University she was a Postdoctoral Researcher at the School of Education at the University of Glasgow. She was involved in the EU H2020 YOUNG_ADULLLT research project, focused on lifelong learning policies tackling young adults facing difficulties in their transition from education to the labour market. Previous to that, Queralt was a predoctoral researcher at the Department of Political and Social Sciences at Universitat Pompeu Fabra (UPF, Barcelona), where she got her PhD in Sociology entitled "Overeducation: Incidence, Persistence and Institutional Differences across countries. The influence of field of study and social origin on graduates' overeducation risk". During her predoctoral training she enjoyed research stages at the Directorate for Education and Skills at the OECD (Paris), at the Amsterdam Centre for Inequality Studies (AMCIS) (Amsterdam) and at the Economic and Social Research Institute (ESRI, Dublin). She has also participated and presented her research in several European and International academic conferences organised by the European Consortium for Sociological Research (ECSR), the RC28 of the International Sociological Association (ISA) and the Transition in Youth (TIY) network.
- Capsada-Munsech, Queralt (2019). Measuring Overeducation: Incidence, Correlation and Overlaps Across Indicators and Countries. Social Indicators Research 145(1): 279-301.
- Capsada-Munsech, Queralt (2019). Overeducation, skills and social background: the influence of parental education on overeducation in Spain. Compare: A Journal of Comparative and International Education
- Capsada-Munsech, Queralt (2017). Overeducation: Concept, theories, and empirical evidence. Sociology Compass 11(10): e12518.
- Capsada-Munsech, Queralt (2015). The role of social origin and field of study on graduates’ overeducation: the case of Italy. Higher Education 69(5): 779.
- Education to work transtitions
- Educational inequalities
- Skills mismatch
- Social stratification
- Seminar leader in Sociology of Education