News and Events
Creating an enterprise zone to work with industry
From developing a mesh coating that could help clean up oil spills to finding greener energy alternatives, our research is really making a difference.
Now, we’ve been awarded over £1.4m to develop premises in the North East of England for businesses where they can collaborate with our world-leading research experts.
Spinout and start-up support
Twenty new University Enterprise Zones (UEZ) will be established in the UK, an initiative that encourages universities and businesses to work together to support local economic growth.
Our UEZ will house business accommodation with lab space, hot desks and meeting facilities co-located within one of our research institutes.
Up to 17 businesses will have the opportunity to be based at the UEZ, including spinout companies that are commercialising university research, and our student led enterprises.
Leading science site
The UEZ will be based at one of the UK’s leading science parks, the North East England Technology Park (NETPark), a hub of science-led research and development.
Businesses will have access to a wealth of guidance, support and learning, test facilities and collaborative working opportunities from our academics and partners who will provide regular sessions to exchange knowledge across a range of subjects.
The UEZ will be open to all businesses who want to collaborate with the University and our partners, providing access to academic expertise.
Completion of the UEZ is scheduled for autumn 2020 and will open its doors to businesses in early 2021.
Find out more
- For further information on the UEZ, contact firstname.lastname@example.org
- Durham University Enterprise Zone is funded by Research England and UK Research and Innovation
- Partners of this project are: Business Durham, North East Local Enterprise Partnership and the Centre for Process Innovation
- Read more about our research strengths
- Find out about our spin-out companies and how we are supporting research commercialisation through the Northern Accelerator programme
- Read more about how we support student enterprise with the Durham City Incubator.
Fusing together creative industries (March 2019)