Dr Ana Leite
(email at firstname.lastname@example.org)
I am a social and organisational psychologist with business and academic experience. Before beginning my PhD, I worked for Deloitte (consulting). During this period, I worked with a variety of clients from different industries in developing and improving their HR strategies. This experience now informs my research in organisational psychology and consultancy work.
I joined Durham University as an Assistant Professor in Social/ Organisational Psychology in June 2019. Previously, I was a Lecturer in Social and Organisational Psychology and a Research Associate at the University of Kent, and a Lecturer in Psychology at the University of Roehampton.
I continue my collaborative work with the University of Kent, where I am currently an Honorary Lecturer and co-supervise 3 PhD students.
My current research focuses on social psychology in the workplace (leadership, diversity, organisational identification, well-being), as well as on other strands of social psychology (prejudice, intergroup prosociality, speciesism). I use quantitative methods by employing a combination of experimental, quasi-experimental, cross-sectional, and longitudinal designs.
Themes and topics include:
- Leadership and employee well-being
- Gender bias in leadership selection and evaluation
- Group reactions to deviant members
- Prejudice and strategies to promote intergroup prosociality
- Speciesism and strategies to improve human-animal relations
I would welcome applications from potential doctoral students in these areas.
- Jolley, Daniel, Douglas, Karen M., Leite, Ana C. & Schrader, Tanya (2019). Belief in conspiracy theories and intentions to engage in everyday crime. British Journal of Social Psychology 58(3): 534-549.
- Tresh, Fatima, Steeden, Ben, Randsley de Moura, Georgina, Leite, Ana C., Swift, Hannah J. & Player, Abigail (2019). Endorsing and Reinforcing Gender and Age Stereotypes: The Negative Effect on Self-Rated Leadership Potential for Women and Older Workers. Frontiers in Psychology 10: 688.
- Leite, Ana C., Dhont, Kristof & Hodson, Gordon (2019). Longitudinal effects of human supremacy beliefs and vegetarianism threat on moral exclusion (vs. inclusion) of animals. European Journal of Social Psychology 49(1): 179-189.
- Player, Abigail, Randsley de Moura, Georgina, Leite, Ana C., Abrams, Dominic & Tresh, Fatima (2019). Overlooked Leadership Potential: The Preference for Leadership Potential in Job Candidates Who Are Men vs. Women. Frontiers in Psychology 10: 755.
- Player, A., Abrams, D., Van de Vyver, J., Meleady, R., Leite, A.C., Randsley de Moura, G. & Hopthrow, T. (2018). “We aren’t idlers” Using subjective group dynamics to promote prosocial driver behavior at long‐wait stops. Journal of Applied Social Psychology 48(11): 643-648.
- Van de Vyver, J., Leite, A.C., Abrams, D. & Palmer, S.B. (2018). Brexit or bremain? A person and social analysis of voting decisions in the EU referendum. Journal of Community and Applied Social Psychology 28(2): 65-79.
- Randsley de Moura, G., Leicht, C., Leite, A. C., Crisp, R. J. & Gocłowska, M. A. (2018). Leadership Diversity: Effects of Counterstereotypical Thinking on the Support for Women Leaders under Uncertainty. Journal of Social Issues 74(1): 165-183.
- Leite, Ana C., Cardoso, Sónia G. Marques, André G. & Morais, Catarina (2017). Believing is adapting: Belief in a just world and emigrants’identification and satisfaction with the host country /Creer esadaptarse: Creer en un mundo justo y la identificación ysatisfacción de los emigrantes con el país de acogida. Revista de Psicología Social / International Journal of Social Psychology 32(2): 424-439
- Meleady, R., Abrams, D., Van de Vyver, J., Hopthrow, T., Mahmood, L., Player, A., Lamont, R. & Leite, A.C. (2017). Surveillance or self-surveillance? Behavioral cues can increase the rate of drivers' pro-environmental behavior at a long wait stop. Environment and Behavior 49(10): 1156-1172.
- Douglas, Karen M. & Leite, Ana C. (2017). Suspicion in the workplace: Organizational conspiracy theories and work-related outcomes. British Journal of Psychology 108(3): 486-506.
- Dhont, Kristof, Hodson, Gordon & Leite, Ana C. (2016). Common Ideological Roots of Speciesism and Generalized Ethnic Prejudice: The Social Dominance Human–Animal Relations Model (SD‐HARM). European Journal of Personality 30(6): 507-522.
- Leite, Ana C., Pinto, Isabel R. & Marques, José M. (2016). Do Ambiguous Normative Ingroup Members Increase Tolerance for Deviants?. Swiss Journal of Psychology 75(1): 47-52.
- Lins, Samuel Lincoln Bezerra Lins, Campos, Miguel, Leite, Ana C., Carvalho, Catarina L., Cardoso, Sónia & Natividade, Jean Carlos (2016). Evidências de validade da Escala de Orientação para a Comparação Social (INCOM) para o contexto de adolescentes portugueses. PSICOLOGIA 30(1): 1-14.