Dr Dorothy Cowie, BA, DPhil
I obtained my undergraduate degree in 2003, and PhD in 2007, both from the Department of Experimental Psychology, University of Oxford. My PhD thesis, supervised by Prof Oliver Braddick, examined the development of visual guidance in locomotion. As a Postdoctoral Fellow at UCL (2007-10), I examined locomotor control in Parkinson’s disease. In 2010 I became a Postdoctoral Fellow and Lecturer in Psychology at Goldsmiths, University of London, where I worked with Dr Andy Bremner on the development of own-body representation. Since moving to Durham as Assistant Professor (2013-), I continue to examine the development of visuomotor control and own-body perception. My work is funded by the UK Economic & Social Research Council.
Lab members include:
- L Bird, ESRC funded Research Assistant
- R Mowbray, ESRC NEDTC-funded PhD place from 2017
- S Keenaghan, ESRC NEDTC-funded PhD place from 2018
- M Polaskova, Durham University Laidlaw Scholar 2017-18
Chapter in book
- Bremner, A.J. & Cowie, D. (2013). Developmental origins of the hand in the mind, and the role of the hands in the development of the mind. In The hand: An organ of the mind. What the manual tells the mental. Radman, Z. MIT Press. 27-55.
- Nardini, M. & Cowie, D. (2012). The development of multisensory balance, locomotion, orientation and navigation. In Multisensory Development. Bremner, A., Lewkowicz, D. & Spence, C. Oxford: Oxford University Press. 137-159.
- Mora, Laura, Cowie, Dorothy, Banissy, Michael J. & Cocchini, Gianna (2018). My true face: Unmasking one's own face representation. Acta Psychologica 191: 63-68.
- Cowie, D., McKenna, A., Bremner, A. & Aspell, J. (2018). The development of bodily self-consciousness: Changing responses to the Full Body Illusion in childhood. Developmental Science 21(3): e12557.
- Le Cornu Knight, F., Cowie, D. & Bremner, A. (2017). Part-based representations of the body in early childhood: evidence from perceived distortions of tactile space across limb boundaries. Developmental Science 20(6): e12439.
- D'Souza, H., Cowie, D., Karmiloff-Smith, A. & Bremner, A. (2017). Specialization of the motor system in infancy: From broad tuning to selectively specialized purposeful actions. Developmental Science 20(4): e12409.
- Cowie, D., Sterling, S. & Bremner, A.J. (2016). The development of multisensory body representation and awareness continues to ten years of age: evidence from the rubber hand illusion. Journal of Experimental Child Psychology 142: 230-238.
- Begum Ali, J., Cowie, D. & Bremner, A.J. (2014). Effects of posture on tactile localization by 4 years of age are modulated by sight of the hands: evidence for an early acquired external spatial frame of reference for touch. Developmental Science 17(6): 935-943.
- Bremner, A.J., Ali, J.B. & Cowie, D. (2014). The origins of ability and automaticity in tactile spatial perception. Developmental Science 17(6): 946-947.
- Cowie, Dorothy, Makin, Tamar R. & Bremner, Andrew J. (2013). Children’s Responses to the Rubber-Hand Illusion Reveal Dissociable Pathways in Body Representation. Psychological Science 24(5): 762-769.
- Cowie, D., Limousin, P., Peters, A., Hariz, M. & Day, B.L. (2012). Doorway-provoked freezing of gait and its treatment in Parkinson’s disease. Movement Disorders 27(4): 492-499.
- Aviles-Olmos, I., Foltynie, T., Panicker, J., Cowie, D., Limousin, P., Hariz, M., Fowler, C.J. & Zrinzo, L. (2012). The surgical anatomy of the pedunculopontine nucleus cannot be disputed, buried or exhumed. Acta Neurochirurgica 154(8): 1531-1533.
- Aviles-Olmos, I., Foltynie, T., Panicker, J., Cowie, D., Limousin, P., Hariz, M., Fowler, C.J. & Zrinzo, L. (2012). Uncertainty, misunderstanding and the pedunculopontine tegmental nucleus - Response to letter by Mazzone et al. Acta Neurochirurgica 154(5): 839-841.
- Cowie, D. , Braddick, O. & Atkinson, J. (2012). Visually guided step descent in children with Williams Syndrome. Developmental Science 15(1): 74-86.
- Aviles-Olmos, I., Foltynie, T., Panicker, J., Cowie, D., Limousin, P., Hariz, M., Fowler, C.J. & Zrinzo, L. (2011). Urinary incontinence following deep brain stimulation of the pedunculopontine nucleus. Acta Neurochirurgica 153(12): 2357-2360.
- Cowie, Dorothy, Atkinson, Janette & Braddick, Oliver (2010). Development of visual control in stepping down. Experimental Brain Research 202(1): 181-188.
- Cowie, D., Limousin, P., Peters, A. & Day, B.L. (2010). Insights into the neural control of locomotion from walking through doorways in Parkinson's disease. Neuropsychologia 48(9): 2750-2757.
- Cowie, D., Smith, L. & Braddick, O. (2010). The development of locomotor planning for end-state comfort. Perception 39(5): 661-670.
- Nardini, M, Braddick, O, Atkinson, J, Cowie, DA, Ahmed, T & Reidy, H (2008). Uneven integration for perception and action cues in children’s working memory. Cognitive Neuropsychology 25(7-8): 968-984.
- Cowie, D., Braddick, O. & Atkinson, J. (2008). Visual control of action in step descent. Experimental Brain Research 186(2): 343-348.
- Curnow, T., Cowie, D., Henning, G.B. & Hill, N.J. (2007). Some observations on the masking effects of Mach Bands. Journal of the Optical Society of America A 24(10): 3233-3241.