Dr Lore Thaler
ESRC; MRC; NWO; NSF; National Science Center Poland
Experimental Brain Research •Journal of Motor Behavior • Journal of Experimental Psychology: Human Perception and Performance • Consciousness and Cognition • Neuron •Journal of Neuroscience Methods • Human Brain Mapping • Cognition • Journal of the Royal Society ‘Interface’ • Proceedings of the Royal Society (Series B) • Visual Cognition • Frontiers in Integrative Physiology • PLoS One • Current Biology •Journal of Neurophysiology • Behavioral Brain Research • Investigative Ophthalmology and Vision Science • European Journal of Neuroscience • Current Directions in Psychological Science • Acta Psychologica • Frontiers in Cognitive Science • IEE TBME
Indicators of Esteem
- 2014: Grant:
British Council GII (2014-2016) ‘Seeing with Sound:Developing an Echolocation Device based on sensing principles derived from Human Users’ (total: £147,064; sub-award LT: £35,800)
- 2014: Grant:
BBSRC (2015-2018) ‘Human echolocation: Basic mechanisms and neuroplasticity’ (£409,942)
- 2012: keynote address: Annual meeting of the British Society of Hearing Aid Audiologists, Notthingham, UK, May 19-20, 2012.
- 2012: plenary address: Meeting of the centre for consciousness studies, Tucson, Arizona, USA, April 9-13, 2012
- 2010: Grant:
Ontario Ministry of Research and Innovation Postdoctoral Fellowship (2008-2010), Project: Investigation of Neural Correlates of Visual-Spatial Representations (50,000 CA $)
- human echolocation, visual perception, auditory perception, blindness, functional magnetic resonance imaging (fMRI)
- Schlicht, Tobias, Vetter, Petra, Thaler, Lore & Moss, Cynthia (2013). Wahrnehmung. In Handbuch Kognitionswissenschaft. Stephan, Achim & Walter, Sven Stuttgart: Verlag J.B. Metzler. 472-487.
Journal papers: academic
- Thaler, L, Paciocco, J, Daley, M, Lesniak, G D, Purcell, D W, Goodale, M A & Culham, J C (Submitted). A selective impairment of auditory perception of motion direction in peripheral auditory space: A case study. Neuropsychologia
- Staunton, H M & Thaler, L (Submitted). Manneristic behaviour in children and older individuals with vision impairment due to ocular causes: A review of the literature with focus on degree of impairment, age at onset, and situational triggers. Journal of Visual Impairment and Blindness
- Milne, J. L., Anello, M., Goodale, M. A. & Thaler, L. (2015). A blind human expert echolocator shows size constancy for objects perceived by echoes. Neurocase: The Neural Basis of Cognition 21(4): 465-470.
- Fiehler, K., Schütz, I., Meller, T. & Thaler, L. (2015). Neural Correlates of Human Echolocation of Path Direction During Walking. Multisensory Research 28(1-2): 195-226.
- Milne, J.L., Arnott, S.R., Kish, D., Goodale, M.A. & Thaler, L. (2015). Parahippocampal cortex is involved in material processing via echoes in blind echolocation experts. Vision research 109(Part B): 139-148.
- Thaler, Lore, Wilson, Rosanna C. & Gee, Bethany K. (2014). Correlation between Vividness of Visual Imagery and Echolocation Ability in Sighted, Echo-Naive People. Experimental Brain Research 232(6): 1915-1925.
- Thaler, Lore, Milne,Jennifer Arnott,Stephen Kish,Daniel & Goodale, Melvyn (2014). Neural Correlates of Motion Processing through Echolocation, Source Hearing and Vision in Blind Echolocation Experts and Sighted Echolocation Novices. Journal of Neurophysiology 111(1): 112-127.
- Milne, J. L., Goodale, M. A. & Thaler, L. (2014). The role of head movements in the discrimination of 2-D shape by blind echolocation experts. Attention, Perception, & Psychophysics 76(6): 1828-1837.
- Thaler, L. (2013). Echolocation may have real-life advantages for blind people: an analysis of survey data. Frontiers in Physiology 4: 98.
- Arnott, S.R., Thaler, L., Milne, J., Kish, D. & Goodale, M.A. (2013). Shape-specific activation of occipital cortex in an early blind echolocation expert. Neuropsychologia 51(5): 938-949.
- Thaler, Lore, Schütz, Alexander C., Goodale, Melvyn A. & Gegenfurtner, Karl R. (2013). What is the best fixation target? The effect of target shape on stability of fixational eye movements. Vision Research 76: 31-42.
- Thaler, Lore, Arnott, Stephen & Goodale, Melvyn (2011). Neural correlates of natural human echolocation in early and late blind echolocation experts. PLoS ONE 6(5): e20162.
- Thaler, Lore & Goodale, Melvyn (2011). Neural substrates of visual spatial coding and visual feedback control for hand movements in allocentric and target-directed tasks. Frontiers in Human Neuroscience 5: 92.
- Thaler, Lore & Goodale, Melvyn (2011). Reaction times for allocentric movements are 35 ms slower than reaction times for target-directed movements. Experimental Brain Research 211(2): 313.
- Thaler, Lore & Goodale, Melvyn (2011). The role of online visual feedback for the control of target-directed and allocentric hand movements. Journal of Neurophysiology 105(2): 846-859.
- Gordon, G, Kaplan, DM, Lankow, B, Little, DY, Sherwin, J, Suter, BA & Thaler L (2011). Toward an integrated approach to perception and action: conference report and future directions. Frontiers in Systems Neuroscience 5.
- Thaler, Lore & Goodale, Melvyn (2010). Beyond distance and direction: the brain represents target locations non-metrically. Journal of Vision 10(3): 3.
- Thaler, Lore & Todd, James (2010). Evidence from visuomotor adaptation for two partially independent visuomotor systems. Journal of Experimental Psychology: Human Perception and Performance 36(4): 924-935.
- Todd, James & Thaler, Lore (2010). The perception of 3D shape from texture based on directional width gradients. Journal of Vision 10(5): 17.
- Thaler, Lore & Todd, James (2009). The control parameters used by the CNS to guide the hand depend on the visuo-motor task: evidence from visually guided pointing. Neuroscience 159(2): 578.
- Thaler, Lore & Todd, James (2009). The use of head/eye-centered, hand-centered and allocentric representations for visually guided hand movements and perceptual judgments. Neuropsychologia 47(5): 1227.
- Thaler, L, Todd, JT, Spering, M & Gegenfurtner, KR (2007). Illusory bending of a rigidly moving line segment: effects of image motion and smooth pursuit eye movements. Journal of Vision 7(6): 9.
- Thaler, L, Todd, JT & Dijkstra, TM (2007). The effects of phase on the perception of 3D shape from texture: psychophysics and modeling. Vision Research 47(3): 411.
- Todd, JT, Thaler, L, Dijkstra, TM, Koenderink, JJ & Kappers, AM (2007). The effects of viewing angle, camera angle, and sign of surface curvature on the perception of three-dimensional shape from texture. Journal of Vision 7(12): 9.
- Todd, JT, Thaler, L & Dijkstra, TM (2005). The effects of field of view on the perception of 3D slant from texture. Vision Research 45(12): 1501.
Journal papers: professional
- Thaler, Lore (Accepted). Using Sound to Get Around - Discoveries in Human Echolocation. Observer